A concern of mine

crittergu

Ok...it is a real common thing for people now to by giganteus...which are not usually inexpensive. They grow them out for almost a year and presto! They get....these roaches that they aren't sure what they are. It seems that pure giganteus are becoming a minority in the face of giganteus x fusca x whoknowswhatelse hybrids.

Anyhow, I plan on getting a colony of true giganteus together and while I've found several sources that I am pretty sure are pure giganteus it irks me quite a bit. We might not be able to import again if we screw up the lines we presently keep in the states!

Ok...it is a real common thing for people now to by giganteus...which are not usually inexpensive. They grow them out for almost a year and presto! They get....these roaches that they aren't sure what they are. It seems that pure giganteus are becoming a minority in the face of giganteus x fusca x whoknowswhatelse hybrids.

Anyhow, I plan on getting a colony of true giganteus together and while I've found several sources that I am pretty sure are pure giganteus it irks me quite a bit. We might not be able to import again if we screw up the lines we presently keep in the states!

Agreed! While it is interesting to have a few of any hybrid around, a majority of them should be destroyed. I would be really ticked if I bought nymphs that grew into a non-pure lineage. I fortunately do have B.giganteus that are pure strain. Frankly, with some of the bigger roaches I am not sure how a colony gets accidently crossed....

Pure perfect species cultures, I am all about it!

There's no such thing as a B.giganteus hybrid, the genitalia is too different. Some people have thrown cultures of other Blaberus together with B.giganteus but there's never been any evidence of an actual hybrid. Just because they're in the same cage doesn't mean they're a hybrid. I spoke to a guy recently who bought "B.giganteus" nymphs from a spider forum and ended up with just two giganteus and a bunch of feeder Blaberus. Most other species are a lot easier to rear so any mixed culture will end up with all the B.giganteus dying out. The problem is mislabeled cultures not genetic purity.

Hello Orin,

Since you seem to know quite a bit I will entertain that thought. Here is the most recent of these threads I have seen. Strong evidence to support your post is that he got one roach that appears to be purebred giganteus. So the possible explanation would be that he received roaches from a mixed colony of 2-3 species

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=103087

The same guy also has a photo of B. fusca and B. giganteus mating on this forum somewhere, however.

I've heard about fusca/discoidalis/craniifer type hybrids being passed off as giganteus and the pictures did indeed look like hybrids. So are you saying that hybridizing Blaberus is impossible? Or are the other species(fusca, craniifer discoids), able to hybridize but not giganteus?

Hello Orin,

Since you seem to know quite a bit I will entertain that thought. Here is the most recent of these threads I have seen. Strong evidence to support your post is that he got one roach that appears to be purebred giganteus. So the possible explanation would be that he received roaches from a mixed colony of 2-3 species

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=103087

The same guy also has a photo of B. fusca and B. giganteus mating on this forum somewhere, however.

I've heard about fusca/discoidalis/craniifer type hybrids being passed off as giganteus and the pictures did indeed look like hybrids. So are you saying that hybridizing Blaberus is impossible? Or are the other species(fusca, craniifer discoids), able to hybridize but not giganteus?

Wow im impressed I didnt know anybody even looked at my thread on that site, yeah thats my roaches allright, I was basically sent the wrong roaches when I thought I was getting B. Giganteus. (except for the one that is a true B. Giganteus)

Unfortunetly the picture of the the b.fusca/b.giganteus mating got erased by mistake that is why you havent been able to find the picture. Although I will give you an update, the fusca (female) never gave birth after mating, I dont know if it was stress or if the male (giganteus) was sterile towards fusca.

I do know that the roaches I received otherwise do seem to be a mix or something, what, I dont know?

I don't mind Hybrids or Mixed Colonies, but misidentification and misleading people is definately a huge concern..

I would like to pick up some of the Craniifer X Fusca Hybrids, simply because I hear they breed well and fast and it would indeed be particularly interesting to see them.

But human error in their distribution is annoying and a lot of people get screwed over in their deals nowadays with people being lax.

Blaberus is a very interesting Genus..

I would like to pick up some of the Craniifer X Fusca Hybrids, simply because I hear they breed well and fast and it would indeed be particularly interesting to see them.

Blaberus fusca is a synonym of Blaberus craniifer. that's the reason, why they produce and work well together!

Into the BCG we tried to keep the culture clean from any other influence, like any other species. If we have one stock, we are label it very well and will inform any other breeders which colony they get. That the most importen thing.

Any other infromation: Blaberus colloseus is sometimes also mislabeled as Bl. giganteus!!!

See you