My Potential Tank

Severus

Man, I can't tell you how much I enjoy putting stuff like this together. Something tells me that this tank would be much appreciated by several creatures other than roaches(not at the same time of course, hah!). What do you guys think of it? That big orange-brown one is actually almost hollow as the darker brown one on the right, only twisty. Lots of little nooks in that one. This is a 29gallon tank.

RoachTank3.jpg

Is there a potential health hazard for using stuff you find outside? Is there any preparation that needs to be done to those?

This is almost as much fun as "Tank Cleaning Day" for my bettas. As soon as I get my grubby, clustered room cleaned and organized, can get some, whether they go in this tank or not.

Where's the water dish?

Objects from outside could be dangerous if directly sprayed with pesticide shortly before you bring them in but rain and sun break down modern pesticides so it would have to be a pretty recent application (somewhat unlikely). Wood lying on the ground may have springtails, mites, isopods and other things that you may or may not want in your cage.

Where's the water dish?

Objects from outside could be dangerous if directly sprayed with pesticide shortly before you bring them in but rain and sun break down modern pesticides so it would have to be a pretty recent application (somewhat unlikely). Wood lying on the ground may have springtails, mites, isopods and other things that you may or may not want in your cage.

...I once brought in fresh branches fromm the outdoors and found myself with a huge colony of earwigs a couple months later.....

Dead wood that you find outside can be baked in the oven at 150F-200F for about 30 mins if you want to be extra safe about making sure it's sterile. Just make sure your home while its in the oven and check on it often. Also make sure no leaves are still on the branches because they could combust.

Still working on it. Water dish and food dish are planned to go right up front there in that open space in the middle. I will probably use .97 cent ash trays from WalMart like I used when I had mice. I just have to dig them out. And no worry of pesticides here. The only bug we take a stand against are flys in the barn.

Nice looking setup you have there. I've only been creative and naturalistic with one enclosure, and it's not in use anymore. I really want to set up a couple of display tanks for my 2 favorite tarantulas, I just don't have the space right now. When I get ready to do that, I might have to borrow some of your ideas.

A millipede may do well in there.

Actually, I have considered them. They intrigue me (among other things, hah), although I'll admit I'm a bit creeped out by them. I'd have to start doing some research on them though, which I shall eventually.

I'll have to ask my old greenhouse teacher from school if there is a way to naturally, or artificially, preserve leaves. I don't know how well the fake ones would look, but, yeah, I do like the greenery in there.

As long as it isn't a Centipede.. I bought two when I lived in Malaysia.. I was 10 then and the whole joy of the impulse buy kind of evaporated quick as I envisioned them crawling out of their cages and eating me.

I don't know, they're just so alien and scary, a walking deadly tank to the creatures they prey on.. big ones too.. the Fire red ones from the area.

Millipedes are awfully interesting though..

I like the tank, what you putting in it?

I've always wondered if there was a way to preserve leaves, like a clear coating or something.

They would look nice in there. :D

Hey kid ;)

You can take a fresh cut stem, then cut it (stem) about 1/2" up the middle and put in about 1/2" of 50% water/50% vegetable glycerin mix(glycerin you can get from your pharmacist). Leave it in for a several days and you will see the leaf/leaves become dark and sort of shiny. This works best with broad, thick leaves like rhododendron and the like. don't use too much or keep in too long as it can get sticky. You can leave between paper towel for a couple days to absorb residual then place it in tank.

have fun,

lele

I'm hoping to get some hissers pretty soon. I got the growly okay from mom when I had her help me get my stand up the stairs to my room.

And to heck with my Ag teacher. Lele, thank you very much. I will definitely try that later on. I think I understand.

Okay, I haven't changed much, other than getting the tank on the right stand, and getting in the food and water dishes.

RoachTank4.jpg