Dorylaea orini

Where does Orin's Roach come from and how did you get a roach named after you?

I recently had a visitor email me that thought he'd found a new mantis species. He lives in Florida and said is was a pretty small species that looked like the bark on a tree and that he'd scoured the web and couldn't find any photos or record of this species. Of course, I had to tell him it was G. grisea, but a mystery is always fun until you figure out it!

Peter

Malaysia. I sent a specimen in 01 or 02 to Dr. Roth at Harvard for identification. He said it was an undescribed species and wanted to know if I could supply more dead specimens and oothecae and what I would name it. I said yes, and 'pulchra' meaning beautiful. He said there's plenty of roaches with that species name already, your first or last name? I said my first.

You and Aaron Chambers (Aphonopelma chambersi Smith, 1995 USA) are the only two people I know who have bugs named after them. One of my life goals is to discover a new bug species of hobby importance. Shouldn't be too difficult since I'll probably spend the second half of my life in Mexico, where my parents live.

Thanks for the info!

HEllo,

Peter there is an enthomologist in Santa Barbara that has a Tinema specie named after her, it is the only tinema that happens in the Santa Barbara area.

Orin, I hope you could get more bugs name after you, great job, you are a true example of dedication in the hobby.

could you selectively breed a roach to look completly different and name it after you?

If it were possible and were truly unique you might be able to get it patented like plant cultivars. You could choose the patent trade name. It would be a variety and could not be given a new species name.

Usually a taxonomist would name an undescribed species and finding an undescribed species doesn't mean you can choose it's name.

I think I read somewhere that you can't patent animals, only plants. Although there seems to be a patent on "glo fish" so who knows. I actually thought about selective breeding with my dubias since I have some with pretty patterns on them. Would be just for fun though, I don't think I'll patent them. :)

I think I read somewhere that you can't patent animals, only plants. Although there seems to be a patent on "glo fish" so who knows. I actually thought about selective breeding with my dubias since I have some with pretty patterns on them. Would be just for fun though, I don't think I'll patent them. :)

Well it seems like with many fancy reptiles they get named after people...so fancy roaches? Maybe.

could any see G. portentosa Jimbe's Giant? LOL