Genetic deformities

Allpet Roaches

OK, so it seems it was determined that the segment deformity occurs in many roach species and, since several of the photos were of adults, it apparently does not stop them from maturing.

I agree that such a roach should be culled or kept as a pet only but... my question is this - has anyone ever tried breeding such a roach under controlled conditions, to see if this type of deformity is a dominant trait or just a random mutation?

I would also be interesting in finding an answer to the question posed by BugManPrice - does this only occur in captivity or has it been seen in the wild? I think that answer would help us to better understand if it is ACTUALLY a genetic level defect, or if it is a dietary/environmental issue...

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Has anybody seen this on a roach, or anything else for that matter, in a wild specimen or just captively raised?

Good question I've wondered the same thing, but I've never seen a wild tropical species to know.