Blaberus parabolicus

Shawn H

No one? Are they that rare in captivity or are they just undesirable in some way to culture?

You have to be a Blaberus collector to really find them interesting (I kept them for more than eight years but gave the culture to a friend a year or so ago). They are notably bigger than a Discoid, are just as easy to rear but look pretty similar. People tend to upgrade to B. giganteus or B. craniifer because of the greater size and color difference.

B. parabolicus are my favorite Blaberus species.

They are more variable in their color than other Blaberus.

I had some that were light, and others that were almost black.

Mine were from Europe.

I like atropos also, but i think parbolicus are nicer looking.

I guess its all how you see them.

Yes James might have them.

Ok cool thanks guys, they sounded like good feeders to me because I've heard they reproduce pretty fast for a large sp. It's also nice that they arn't climbers. I was just wondering why they were not more commonly kept. Maybe they are common and just arn't very talked about. Craniifer are great but I have them more as a pet colony then feeder.

What do the people who keep tarantulas here prefer to use for sling food? I know many roach species would work but whats your favorite for spiderlings 1/4'' to 2''?

The B. parabolicus I had were originally from Peru and the adult coloration was not variable. That should be the same stock that James at Blaberus has. I have no idea what the so called 'parabolicus' from 'Europe' would look like or where the stock actually originated.

Shawn H - none of the Blaberus speices can climb glass or smooth plastic. Firefly roaches work great for small slings.