Sign in to follow this  
Matt K

WEIRD Ootheca

Really spongy. Found many of them and don't know what they belonged to.

CRunknnownotheca.jpg

Sure its not a cocoon or some plant growth?

I had to peek in the end of one and there were what appeared to be elongate eggs inside, so I assume ootheca. That and the general form of it and I found this one stuck to a leaf, another to the side of a shed, another on a banana leaf, one on a tree trunk... they weren't that uncommon in one small area. (GPS coordinates may be available if anyone wants to go look!)

That is quite strange. It doesn't look like it could be a mantis ootheca and I have no idea what kind of insect could lay an eggcase like that.

Do you have any of these "ooths" at this time? If so, remember the old entomologist's advice:

"Can't figure it out? Then rear it out!"

Do you have any of these "ooths" at this time? If so, remember the old entomologist's advice:

"Can't figure it out? Then rear it out!"

Nope. I do not have any. Getting anything into this country is VERY difficult, more so for me because they (they= Customs dept. and Fish and Wildlife dept.) are too well acquainted with me (long story). These days I ONLY buy what I can within the state that I reside.... In hindsight I could have set up a rearing chamber there with someone to monitor it and a webcam to watch it from here. So something to that effect is what I want to attempt next year. If I can pull it off, then we can all go to a website and watch various bugs in captivity and learn from that via the internet. Like virtual bug keeping.....