Crossbreed check

It's almost always the rule that hybridizing can only occur within a genus (and with very similar members of the genus at that). ;)

Lol, yes. Eublaberus distantii and posticus are both in the genus Eublaberus. The genus name is the first and capitalized part of the scientific name.

It goes Kingdom -> Phylum -> Class -> Order -> Family -> Genus -> Species.

Animalia -> Arthropoda -> Insecta -> Blattodea (or Dictyoptera or what have you) -> Blaberidae -> Archimandrita -> tesselata.

There are also "tribes" and "subfamilies" and plenty of other names but those aren't usually important! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Roachkeepers,

I have a question. Can E. javanica and E. chopardi make love together? Because I do not want any more hybrids in my home. I cannot find any information on the forum.

Thanks!

Zoltan

I would guess that they can't. From my experience, the larger the difference between nymph forms, the less likely it is that the two species will be able to hybridize. The nymphs of E. davidi and E. javanica are quite similar so I would expect the two of them to be able to hybridize. However, these are all closely related species in the first place so I would err on the side of caution and not keep them together.

No they cant, but that doesn't mean you won't see breeding attempts. I've witnessed b dubia male trying to court a much larger b fusca female, of course there was no mating but males might try anyway, it's interesting to watch!