Asymmetrical G. portentosa

I noted a male hisser in my colony that is not symmetrical. Some of his body segments toward the end of his abdomen seem to connect incorrectly across his back. I am not really sure how better to explain in. I tried to take a picture, but it was not very good quality. It may be awhile before I get a chance to try taking a better picture.

Note the segments toward his posterior end.

101_0165.jpg

Yes, that looks like a similar disorder. I am not sure if my male is in his last instar, or is an adult. I probably won't choose to breed from him, but I also probably won't work too hard to prevent him from breeding. He's got plenty of "normal" brothers.

If its a bad molt it might be due to bad husbandry or damage from another roach that healed, not genetics, which means breeding him means normal offspring. Roaches live a normal life with this. Are you planning on giving him away?

If its a bad molt it might be due to bad husbandry or damage from another roach that healed, not genetics, which means breeding him means normal offspring. Roaches live a normal life with this. Are you planning on giving him away?

I don't have specific plans for him at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

That looks like a common defect that shows up in a variety of different invertebrates and is very prevalent in certain beetle larvae. It is probably a specific genetic defect though it might relate to embryogenesis.

The last part, is that where in the ootheca they are at the end and squished thus making them look odd because not enough room to develop normally.

• 2 months later...

I noted a male hisser in my colony that is not symmetrical. Some of his body segments toward the end of his abdomen seem to connect incorrectly across his back. I am not really sure how better to explain in. I tried to take a picture, but it was not very good quality. It may be awhile before I get a chance to try taking a better picture.

Note the segments toward his posterior end.

101_0165.jpg

He's doing great, I named him Mr. Twister. I bet you wouldnt believe its the same guy!

DSC05141_zpsc17510f0.jpg