Jump to content

scottbot84

Members
  • Content Count

    45
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    4

scottbot84 last won the day on October 14

scottbot84 had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

14 Good

About scottbot84

  • Rank
    Eggcase
  • Birthday September 16

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    Illinois
  • Interests
    Using my AOL screen name from 2003

Recent Profile Visitors

257 profile views
  1. Fish food, beetle jelly, and pollen seem to work for me. Growth really took off after I added a bit of heat to one end of the enclosure and some fish flakes. Not sure which one did the trick.
  2. I meant to do this a long time ago and totally forgot. I got started in late 2018 raising Dubia roaches for my son's lizard. I'd had reptiles, chelonians and such in the past but never inverts. The roaches turned out to be more interesting than reptiles to me, and my son started collecting bugs and getting interested in entomology. The combination of a move to a larger house with dedicated office/invert space and time at home due to the pandemic really accelerated my acquisition of new species. Tracking them down is really fun, but I enjoy raising them as well. It's quite rela
  3. I'll try that, I was thinking I might have let their tub dry out a bit too much. The moist end is on a heating pad that seems to dry out the substrate even though it's on a thermostat and not on very much. I'll turn down the temps a bit and add more water.
  4. While checking my bids I thought to do a count of my Polyphaga saussurei, I started with maybe a dozen small nymphs and have had some slow die off (1 every two months or so), just infrequent enough it was easy to miss. On this most recent check I lost my largest adult and smallest nymph, and have 4 large subadult nymphs remaining. Since this species is parthenogenic I just need one producing adult to keep my culture alive. The odd thing is that I keep two other related species (P. aegyptiaca and E. sinensis) in virtually identical conditions in adjoining bins that were started at th
  5. I've not found them to be particularly delicate, although the cost definitely makes you more careful. They really aren't all that picky about substrate unless you make it deep enough for them to construct tunnels, which doesn't seem to be necessary and can actually be risky if the mixture is incorrect. @Peter Clausen posted a good video recently that might help
  6. I've had decent luck with a mix of coconut fiber and miracle grow organic raised bed soil, although I do find the soil has little bit of plastic sometimes, which don't really pose a problem once removed
  7. It's a shame his site is down, it is/was a great resource for new hobbyists, with good basic info on a variety of species.
  8. One mat heats 3 small bins (long 6qt) for me, I only heat one end to provide a gradient. So for my 12 bins I only use 4 mats.
  9. I'm only using this method for a dozen colonies, but I use small heat mats used for starting seeds with a thermostat (probe goes in the substrate of one of the bins). https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0829G6VGY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E9IO6N0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 More expensive up front than a space heater but loads cheaper in the long run and much easier to control temps.
  10. I use lower quality dog food (with grain) for my feeder roaches (they also get fruits, veggies, and other good stuff). For my smaller groups I use high quality Koi pellet food, which seems to be working well. I use fish flakes occasionally but they mix into the substrate, making it harder to determine how much was eaten.
  11. It's worth noting that depending on the tub and fit of the tape you may have a few loose spots. In addition to the built in latches I also added a few binder clips to the unlatched sides to tighten the seal. so far a Gyna Centurion male has reached the gasket and has not been able to breach it. Not sure how smaller species like P. nivea would fare, but I would probably use a premade gasket tub in that case.
  12. An FYI that I'm finding it fairly easy to make a gasket tub out of a normal Sterilite latching tub (like these). All you really need is some foam insulation tape cut into strips that fit around the inner lid. The foam compresses quite a bit so the lid is able to still latch closed. Waiting to see how the foam holds up over time, but so far this trick has worked well for me.
  13. No I don't mind at all. I just use a tub with a latching lid with 2 holes (top and 1 end) I cut with a hole saw. I then glued plastic mesh to keep other bugs out. That's pretty much my standard setup now, ventilation on one end seems to allow for a humidity gradient when only misting the unventilated side. Hope that helps.
  14. For The Love Of Cockroaches is indispensable BTW. I don't think I would have gotten into the hobby without it.
  15. That makes sense, I don't see a big difference in care in this case with 2 enclosures vs 1. With other animals where I've had immature males together that will become aggressive at maturity and it can be hard to know when they need to be separated. Aggression isn't always super obvious also, so it's hard to know when animals are stressed until there are symptoms (stunted growth, die off, etc.). The size discrepancy is pretty small overall, so I'll keep monitoring and adjusting as needed.
×
×
  • Create New...