Jump to content

Android raptor

Members
  • Content Count

    62
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    1

Posts posted by Android raptor

  1. 5 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

    Nah, many breeders feed their Macropanesthia a staple diet of dog food, supplemented by the dead leaves, too much protein isn't the issue here. 

    It would have to be one heck of a mold to affect them, most of the grey or white mold growth on food and on enclosure decor isn't harmful to them, unless they are tiny and get tangled up in the strands. If anything moldy leaves and such would add some nutrients to their diet, not kill them. 

    Do you wash your produce and leaves well before offering them to your Macropanesthia? Because there's always a chance of poisoning them via pesticides through unwashed fruits and dead leaves. 

    I wash everything I give all my roaches, and also freeze the leaves.

    EDIT: forgot to mention the second one was on its back the when I found it having issues. I don't know how long it had been like that as I'd been gone a couple days. 

  2. 1 hour ago, Hisserdude said:

    Nah, many breeders feed their Macropanesthia a staple diet of dog food, supplemented by the dead leaves, too much protein isn't the issue here. 

    It would have to be one heck of a mold to affect them, most of the grey or white mold growth on food and on enclosure decor isn't harmful to them, unless they are tiny and get tangled up in the strands. If anything moldy leaves and such would add some nutrients to their diet, not kill them. 

    Do you wash your produce and leaves well before offering them to your Macropanesthia? Because there's always a chance of poisoning them via pesticides through unwashed fruits and dead leaves. 

    I wash everything I give all my roaches, and also freeze the leaves.

  3. 1 minute ago, Hisserdude said:

    Hmm, temps seem to be good, I know anything above 82F° has been reported as fatal for this species. 

    Soil seems a bit deep, but they died on the surface so that rules out death by mismolts under loose substrate... Does the cork bark provide them adequate cover? 

    You say you only occasionally feed them protein based foods like fish food? I'd personally up that to a couple times a week, feed them like you would any other roach, just in smaller amounts and make sure they always have leaf litter available as well. 

    Really not sure why those two died so suddenly, nothing in your husbandry sounds particularly harmful. I'd shrug the first death off as a fluke, but two deaths within such a short period of time is definitely not normal for this species... It's quite a head scratcher for sure. The substrate didn't dry out or anything did it? 

    I'd actually fed them more fish flakes in the past few weeks. Not a super huge amount more but a bit more. The though had crossed my mind that too much protein might've hurt them but idk. 

    I always keep the substrate moist, it didn't dry out.

    The cork bark actually had a small bit of white mold on it, and a couple days ago some fish flakes had gotten moldy (I removed them when I found them). The mold is my best guess as to what killed them, but moldy food has happened once or twice before with no ill effect. 

    Only other thing I can think is that there might be been mold in my fridge that got on the oak leaves (I keep them in the freezer).

    I live in an apartment complex so the possibility that a neighbor sprayed pesticides exists, but none of my other bugs have been effected. 

  4. 56 minutes ago, Hisserdude said:

    How warm are you keeping them? Are they dying up on the surface of the substrate or are they buried when you find them? A full setup description would be helpful. 

    Both were on the surface when I found them. I keep them at room temperature which is currently 70 something. 

    Setup was a large critter keeper with about two inches of organic soil and a piece of cork bark. The setup has been the same since I got them.

  5. Another one died in similar circumstances (though it fought hard for over a day instead of succumbing in a few hours). Beyond devistating. I've moved the last one to a different enclosure and keeping my fingers crossed.

    Does anyone have any insight? Also who all sells rhino roaches?

  6. Any Pokemon fans here? Sun and Moon finally gave us a roach pokemon with Pheromosa and it instantly became one of my favorite Pokemon. I love how not only is it powerful, but is also portrayed as beautiful and clean! It reminds me of a Blaberus sp. in particular, especially the coloring on the shiny version. 

    I want to cosplay a humanized/gijinka Pheromosa and do a photoshoot with some of my caves.

    • Like 2
  7. One of my rhino roach nymphs died today. Last night it was squirming like it was going to molt so I misted the enclosure a couple times, but it later died without molting. My other two appear to be ok though I've been keeping an eye on them. 

    I haven't changed husbandry recently so I'm not sure what happened, other than maybe a random death or something was wrong with the roach. Theyre all about four to five years old but the one that passed was noticably smaller than the others and had been for a while, which makes me think maybe something was wrong with it. 

    Does anyone have any clue what might've happened and how to prevent it? I've never fed them eucalyptus btw, so I know it wasn't poisoning from that (I feed them oak, produce, and occasionally fish flakes). 

  8. I've been putting off on asking this here long enough. Last fall I started noticing small-medium sized nymphs dead under the pine bark I had in the unnamed tank. Then I started finding them in all other places, even after I took the bark out recently. Today I found a decent sized nymph dead in my other tank, along with even more dead ones in the unnamed tank.

    What's weird is I had the bark in for about a year before anything unusual started happening. And for the most part whatever's killing them has mainly killed small-medium nymphs in the unnamed tank (which is closer to the window).

    When I find them they are perfectly intact, sometimes they're even still a bit twitchy. Could it be some kind of toxic mold? Or nematodes? Maybe it's just a bit too chilly?

    I feel guilty I haven't asked here sooner. I've lost at least 50 nymphs so far and I feel like maybe it's something I might have done :( I need to pay more attention to them....

  9. I looked in my unnamed tank of hissers tonight and found a young female dead! This has happened to me once before, but that was at least 6 months ago. I know for a fact they were both young, because I got them as nymphs about a year ago. They were adults when they died, and had food and water available so I'm a bit worried now. Any idea what's happening? Or are occasional, unexplained deaths normal in fairly sizable colonies? :(

  10. I seriously am about ready to cry after seeing that thread. Unfortunately, I don't know how much can be done legally given that she wasn't a "cute and furry" animal like a cat or dog (from what I've seen the law tends to turn a blind eye to things with no fur and legs, hence why atrocities such as Roundups are allowed to happen). As for the monsters that did this, all we can hope for is that they get their just deserts in the biggest way possible, be it from the Law or karma.

    Things like this only make me think even lower of our species.

×
×
  • Create New...