Dubia roaches aren't super fond of carrots

FlamingSwampert

Not dubias, but it's a struggle to get any of my roaches - particular my E. posticus - interested in plain old fresh, chopped carrots. The other night I threw in some leftover tinned baby carrots and they were a lot more popular. Ditto with duestas. Maybe because they were softer, and had a higher water content?

1 hour ago, WarrenB said:

Not dubias, but it's a struggle to get any of my roaches - particular my E. posticus - interested in plain old fresh, chopped carrots. The other night I threw in some leftover tinned baby carrots and they were a lot more popular. Ditto with duestas. Maybe because they were softer, and had a higher water content?

Interesting... then what veggies do you usually use?

I experiment with most things, barring brassicas and peas. Tried them with mushrooms recently, too. They loved them. They're fond of apple and sweetcorn also.

But I'm still trying to get them onto carrots. Especially when the supermarkets here had them (and parsnips, and other things) marked down to mere pennies before Christmas!

On 1/27/2022 at 12:44 PM, WarrenB said:

I experiment with most things, barring brassicas and peas. Tried them with mushrooms recently, too. They loved them. They're fond of apple and sweetcorn also.

But I'm still trying to get them onto carrots. Especially when the supermarkets here had them (and parsnips, and other things) marked down to mere pennies before Christmas!

Sticking with your soft and moist idea that worked with the baby carrots, I tried some small cucumbers that I had lying around. I figured since millipedes and isopods go insane for them, my roaches would react similarly. I saw a much better feeding response! And while the only food that they have even completely finished was celery, they reduced the cucumber to half of it's original size overnight!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I'm considering using kefir for moisture an d for, maybe, depending on what information I find about feeding it.

My dubias destroy carrots. Sweet potato and carrots are my go to veg. I have had my culture for the better part of 20 years and have followed a few basic rules. Orange vegetable foods primarily. Sweet potato, carrots, and winter squash. And the occasional banana treat. No animal protein at all, they do not need it. Dry food consists of grains, pseudo-grains, cloud ear fungus, nutritional yeast, and red algae. All ground to a fine powder in a Vit-a-mix. No animal protein, no preservatives, etc.

I have fed a very picky insectivorous mammal and many reptiles over the years that have flourished on these dubias.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

I'm just getting started with keeping dubia for our rescue bearded dragon. I had been buying them 25-30/week (expensive!). Then what the LRS had to offer shrank in size by half to two-thirds and the price didn't change to match--so the beardie was eating 3x the number at once and the cost went way up. Too much! 

This looks like a good resource for feeding larger numbers of dubia and ensuring they are well gut-loaded. EDIT: the cockroaches I have had have been quite fond of carrots!

The section on attaching mesh to a bin lid was also very helpful. I'm so glad y'all are here!

ChuWuti is Hopi for Snake Woman, and yes, I have snakes. A Hopi-Kiowa friend of mine gave me that name many years ago. My real name is Sandy

I look forward to learning from everyone!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ChuWuti said:

I'm just getting started with keeping dubia for our rescue bearded dragon. I had been buying them 25-30/week (expensive!). Then what the LRS had to offer shrank in size by half to two-thirds and the price didn't change to match--so the beardie was eating 3x the number at once and the cost went way up. Too much! 

This looks like a good resource for feeding larger numbers of dubia and ensuring they are well gut-loaded. EDIT: the cockroaches I have had have been quite fond of carrots!

The section on attaching mesh to a bin lid was also very helpful. I'm so glad y'all are here!

ChuWuti is Hopi for Snake Woman, and yes, I have snakes. A Hopi-Kiowa friend of mine gave me that name many years ago. My real name is Sandy

I look forward to learning from everyone!

Welcome to the forum!

I got into roaches the exact same as your story :)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/26/2022 at 8:08 PM, FlamingSwampert said:

My dubia roaches seem to pass up carrot pieces, yet they devour celery, fennel, shrimp pellets, etc. Has anyone else noticed this?

I have amphibians a marine toad I have eats dubias so ofc I have to buy and feed them foods to gut load them, not sure if you've tried this it goes the same for my dubias and hissers. If I cut up carrots into thin slices obviously making it easier to nibble on and a thinner layer, when I do those they eat the carrot slices, if I don't slice it up they don't bother even to touch it for some reason. I might be late to this post but I thought I'd respond either way. My roaches also enjoy celery, the leaves to be exact.