Dubia Roach Morphs

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, this is another one of those "Dubia morphs" post.

After the man behind the famous "Yellow Dubia Roach Program" seemingly vanished into thin air, I was wondering just how many morphs of dubias there are.

Are you keeping / know about a dubia morph? Post it below!

Hi, I've discovered a few interesting specimens in my colony recently. They may have occurred before but I may not have paid much attention.

I have been keeping my colony since 2008.

From left to right

Subadult golden female , matured golden female(Let's call her Gold Mama)

image.png.d9f1570d571e44e8949b0d6adfc50394.png

Gold Mama, matured 'Rorschach' male(I posted in another thread on this boy, no idea what morph this is but looks pretty interesting)

image.png.fa449f1d04f65b0a95fb8f154108d6c8.png

Gold Mama, subadult golden male 

image.png.027889f07541b325297257ae5ab27337.png

Is the matured female on the left considered a morph? Her colour looks bold but sepia-ish. Male on the right is the same subadult male as the image above.

image.png.691e5566eda21e543a73188b51c6a169.png

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I would like to be able to document any interesting changes, but I would need to put my face very close to each insect in order to have a clue about them.

I'll try to look closely and see what I find, but they are just starting to relax so I'll probably not disturb the new colony much.  Thank you for the pics.

I colour sort my dubia colonies (3) about every 8/10 weeks and it doesn't seem to impact their breeding or anything else as all 3 colonies are producing off the scale and to colour sort properly I knock them off the egg trays into a big tub and sort them a tray at a time then put the sorted ones in separate tubs and knock the next egg tray in I find it much easier than sorting to many at once 

SB 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I think its all related to diet...I've seen up close and personal two large tubs...4' long tubs, full of "golden" dubia....when I asked what he had been feeding them, he stated "Honey Nut Cheerios" and had fed them that solely for like 3-4 years. I've also seen in my own Orangehead colonies that if you feed them Cantaloupe, the nymphs will become an almost "emergency cone" orange color...and stay that color for quite some time.

Some types of coloration could potentially be diet related, but certainly not the proven breeding Amber and Gold strains floating around from reliable sellers. Those look the same for everyone who keeps them, and they all feed different things, so obviously, not diet related. :) Clearly genetic and line bred traits, considering the people isolated them, have normal dubias too, and feed them all the same.