Spirulina or Chlorella?

crepsis

Hey there, I was just wondering if anyone has tried feeding their roaches spirulina (blue-green algae) or chlorella (green algae)?

They both are extremely high in protein, balanced in fats, fiber, carbohydrates, minerals, vitamins, and amino acids.

I've read different websites where people say that when they feed their roaches a nutritious diet, they have higher reproduction rates, and just seem healthier all-around. I was thinking if this is true, than using one of these algaes as a supplement to the staple diet could be a very good thing.

Any thoughts on this?

Well, at some point, I'm planning on ordering either one or the other or both in bulk to add to the shake I have every day before work.

When I get my nymphs, I'll give them some to see if they will eat it, and I'll report back and let ya know if they'll even touch it.

I have actually taken a supplement shake with spirulina in it. I thought it was good. It worked fairly well and didn't taste that bad. I have never tried it on the roaches. I don't know about Chlorella. I do have some Oscillitoria from the fish tank that I have here. I could try giving them some of that. Let you know how it goes.

Tina

Cool thanks!

....Hey wait a second, is Oscillitoria 'Black Hair Algae'? If so, yuck! Even goldfish (or many fish) won't eat that! :P

Just kidding, let me know how it goes. Like I said, I'm planning on doing a little test myself when I get my nymphs...I'll probably start out with spirulina, just because it's easier to find here powdered, than chlorella (for my shakes).

• 8 months later...

Well both have their own properties as spirulina is a naturally palatable food that aids in defending the immune system, in cholesterol decline, and in mineral absorption. It provides nutrients that are missing in most of our diets and in other hand chlorella is a rich source of vitamins and minerals that is a rich source of nutrients and is considered by many to be nature’s most perfect food.

Spirulina

Chlorella

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

spirulina is something i know from an old aquarium enthusiast to be an awsome food for most anything ive ever fed it to. its the one thing all my roaches will eat above anything else, and my crix explode in every aspect when fed it even a bit. ive even went so far as to feed to my chickens, and the one hen was giving me three eggs a day, which by everything ive read is a near impossibility(i even kept her crated separately to make sure it was nt a mistake or hoax).