Potentially a very stupid question…

Hi all! Ok, so, to what extent do gravid female roaches actually look gravid? I’m talking ovoviviparous blaberid species in particular. I’m waiting with bated breath to see if P. magnifica pairings I have witnessed will result in nymphs and I swear to god a couple of my females are looking fatter than I’m used to seeing them. I don’t know if that’s just wishful thinking on my part 😂 I’ve been keeping roaches for years but I’m embarrassed to say that I’ve never paid much attention to the changes in behaviour and appearance prior to the birthing of nymphs before now. I’m curious as to whether there are any signs (including anything beyond just size/appearance) that I should be looking out for as it’s been 36 days since I witnessed a definite pairing now so if the estimates of 1.5-2 month gestation at optimal temps & humidity are correct, perhaps I might be seeing them already? 

Thanks in advance for humouring my curiosity!

If I’d just waited until this evening before posting this, I’d have been given my answer by my roaches. She is indeed gestating an ooth! So the fact she was looking visibly fatter, hasn’t been as active lately save for eating more than usual, and has been hiding away in a new concealed spot in their tub would indeed appear to have been pointing towards being gravid. Here’s hoping it’s fertile 🤞🏽🥹

DF44884F-603C-4AFE-811E-4F8218FDDF61.jpeg

5F3D90BD-A204-40FA-95D7-E945CFCFAB21.jpeg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Bhjjr said:

So cool! I was curious about the answer to your question. 

Fingers crossed that it works!

Thank you! I really hope it’s fertile & all goes ahead without complication. Now I get to be impatient about finding out how long it takes from ootheca extrusion to ‘birth’! 😂

• 1 month later...