Introducing New Roaches/Keeping mixed species questions

Hi guys!

It's been a while since I've been on here, but I've got some more questions. And, I hope this is the right forum for this post?

I'm sad to say, I lost one of my Madagascar hissing roach ladies about a week ago (passed away). The lady I still have is doing well, but she does keep looking around for her cage-mate. As in, revisiting where her body last was, hanging out in that general area, ect. And this was my one who I rarely ever saw during the day. 

She is around 4yrs old, but I was considering getting another pair of females. To my knowledge, she's never been on her own before, and I know these guys generally prefer groups. 

So I guess my questions are..

- Is it a good idea to get a few more?

- Do they need to be slowly introduced and bonded like mice or is it like aquarium snails and I'd just put them into the enclosure and hope for the best? 

- Is mixing species a thing? Could I get a pair of Halloween hissers and expect them to get along?

- If not, are there other species within the hisser family that I could try with her?

- Do Madagascar and Halloween roaches have similar dietary needs as well?

The enclosure I have is a ten gallon aquarium with a netted lid and petroleum jelly on the top few inches of the glass. It's got coconut fiber with leaf litter scattered on top in sections as substrate. I also have live sphagnum moss as carpet in some areas, and draped on one of the wood pieces (taken from the reptile section from a pet-store). There's a lot of hiding places and they're in a darker corner where it's quiet and warm (I have a heat lamp for winter months though). 

From what I've read, that's more than enough room for 3-4 roaches right?

Think that's all my questions lol

Thank you in advance! 

I would not keep hissers of different species/genera together, because most of them seem capable of hybridizing with each other, which is frowned upon in the hobby, since it's now hard to find pure stock of most species in culture due to hybrids being mislabeled as pure stocks...

So if you get more tankmates for your remaining hissers, I'd go with more normal, standard hissers like the ones you already have (which are probably "portentosa" hybrids already). Usually you can add new stock without any issues with territorial disputes, etc., they enjoy having more company, as hissers are pretty communal creatures. And a 10 gallon would fit dozens of hissers.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hisserdude said:

I would not keep hissers of different species/genera together, because most of them seem capable of hybridizing with each other, which is frowned upon in the hobby, since it's now hard to find pure stock of most species in culture due to hybrids being mislabeled as pure stocks...

So if you get more tankmates for your remaining hissers, I'd go with more normal, standard hissers like the ones you already have (which are probably "portentosa" hybrids already). Usually you can add new stock without any issues with territorial disputes, etc., they enjoy having more company, as hissers are pretty communal creatures. And a 10 gallon would fit dozens of hissers.

Okay, thank you!!

By chance, would females of two species work? Or is it still better to stick to the one species?

I don't plan on having any males as I don't want a large colony and all. Which, I apologize, I think I forgot to mention that! 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Zuriel said:

Okay, thank you!!

By chance, would females of two species work? Or is it still better to stick to the one species?

I don't plan on having any males as I don't want a large colony and all. Which, I apologize, I think I forgot to mention that! 

Females of multiple species would work, but a LOT of people buy females, only to end up with lots of babies later on because one or more of them was a mated adult. Better to have all males IMO when aiming for a non-breeding colony.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Hisserdude said:

Females of multiple species would work, but a LOT of people buy females, only to end up with lots of babies later on because one or more of them was a mated adult. Better to have all males IMO when aiming for a non-breeding colony.

Thankfully, that's a kink I can most likely work out! We have a friend who breeds a few types of roaches and I reached out to her to see if she'd want to take any unwanted nymphs in the possible event that does happen. 

I'll take note of the all male thing and remember that..

I guess my official plan now is getting another female Madagascar hisser or two as well as a female pair of Halloween if our friend would take unwanted nymphs of those. 

Thank you so much for the help!! Guess it's time to go shopping now lol

• Like 1