Blaberus Hybrids

Got some hybrids purely to set up as a feeder colony for my larger Ts but when I saw them they were too nice to use as feeders and absolutely freaking huge so I've now added another colony to the pet list although I will selectively feed off excess males leaving the prettiest/biggest to breed

I was told they're cranifer giganteus fusca hybrids 

They've already produced several lots of nymphs 20+ each time so seem fast breeders

The one in the pic I accurately measured at 89mm long 44mm wide

And for hybrid haters I won't be mixing them with anything or selling any they'll just be a pet colony 

Comments welcome 

SB

IMG_20220824_164639_copy_240x446.jpg

Nice individual, thanks for showing me.  I agree about keeping the pure strains but also if by accident, lack of knowledge or something that bashing hybrids isn't nice either.  If someone has a good reason for using hybrids for feeders and does not intend doing anything else with them, that is ok with me.  

Thanks and I totally understand and agree with the hybrid issues people have

Species should be kept pure not mixed a terrible example looking at the dog world is one of the worst hybrid issues ATM some of the crosses are ridiculous and done purely for profit ok rant over 

My hybrids are very pretty and very very large roaches (not what I was expecting at all) and I'll selectively breed and feed off what I don't want/like and get them as large and pretty as possible but as I said purely for my own pleasure they'll never go anywhere or be crossed with anything else 

SB

• 3 weeks later...

Colony thriving the sub is now churning with tiny nymphs I'd guess they're the fastest breeding roach I've got out of 25+ colonies apart from the lobsters and runners obviously but certainly the fastest producing large roach I've ever had and they really are huge the smallest is 8cm and there are several at 10cm+ (there's a particular one I want to measure noticeably bigger than the others so definetly over 10cm but the second the lids off she's gone into the bark cave which I'm not going to dismantle) and the nymphs are huge very solid and wide

IMG_20220917_013132_copy_176x104.jpg.f4ba66c730eac634ab4da5b2503228e2.jpgIMG_20220917_020444_copy_180x105.jpg.f2e1834d1b5b5f6be8387a4d9f84a04f.jpgScreenshot_2022-09-17-08-24-38-41_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817_copy_180x204.jpg.55764cebb10cac242493c46cea267392.jpgScreenshot_2022-09-17-01-36-31-92_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817_copy_180x213.jpg.5b85f63ef1b27a26428bfbd324569c78.jpg

So based on their production I'll have to start feeding off anything but the biggest and best or I'm gonna need a 200 litre tub and be over run in no time

But for anyone who needs big feeders I've got to say these are perfect and very easy to keep tho they do like their humidity and even tho they have gel they always drink loads when I spray the tub which is probably every 2/3 days when I feed them

I'm curious about growth rates and time to maturity/adult but I'll soon have a good idea

A few arrived with some pretty bad wing damage so they'll be first in the feeding queue 

SB 

• Like 1

On 9/17/2022 at 3:47 AM, Silverback said:

Colony thriving the sub is now churning with tiny nymphs I'd guess they're the fastest breeding roach I've got out of 25+ colonies apart from the lobsters and runners obviously but certainly the fastest producing large roach I've ever had and they really are huge the smallest is 8cm and there are several at 10cm+ (there's a particular one I want to measure noticeably bigger than the others so definetly over 10cm but the second the lids off she's gone into the bark cave which I'm not going to dismantle) and the nymphs are huge very solid and wide

It is unlikely you have anything that hits 8 cm in that group (unless you mean wingspan and not length from front of pronotum to the end of the tegmina). Please verify size claim with picture with vernier calipers or at least a ruler. 

Firstly Allpet why do you think it's 'unlikely' mate 🤔 I really don't appreciate being called a liar I've nothing to prove I don't brag or boast for effect I'm too old to be arsed with all that and I stated clearly at the start of this post I accurately measured one at 89mm BODY LENGTH (and yes I do know the difference) and was very clear about that and catching them is sometimes a pain as the minute you shine a head torch they scatter to the bark cave which I'm not prepared to dismantle just to prove something I only managed to get some extra pics of feeding by being in super stealth mode BUT just for you I'll try and catch a big one and take a pic with proven measure device of some sort and actually they're pretty much all at or over 8cm they're freaking huge and yes I was very surprised myself as the seller said they're all about 8cm but some are bigger and I thought yeh right mate but he was telling the truth 

In the meantime I'll take a pic of my hand with a tape measure which should put things in perspective for you (unless you think I'd use a fake hand 😇😂) and I'm quite a big chap at 6' and 296lbs with pretty big hands so hope that helps till I find a minute to grab one and take a pic to present as evidence to the prosecution 🤣🤣🤣

I started posting here just to share information and knowledge and learn myself as I've got a massive collection and I've been enjoying my time here and tried to post a few things that I thought people would like to see but calling a new member a liar isn't very encouraging but I'm not a keyboard warrior and won't bother getting into anything as I'm really not arsed about negative opinions or otherwise like my dad always said if you've nothing nice or positive to say it's best to say nothing 😉

But I promise I'll post a measuring pic asap mate 

SB 

7 hours ago, Silverback said:

Firstly Allpet why do you think it's 'unlikely' mate 🤔 I really don't appreciate being called a liar I've nothing to prove I don't brag or boast for effect I'm too old to be arsed with all that and I stated clearly at the start of this post I accurately measured one at 89mm BODY LENGTH (and yes I do know the difference) and was very clear about that and catching them is sometimes a pain as the minute you shine a head torch they scatter to the bark cave which I'm not prepared to dismantle just to prove something I only managed to get some extra pics of feeding by being in super stealth mode BUT just for you I'll try and catch a big one and take a pic with proven measure device of some sort and actually they're pretty much all at or over 8cm they're freaking huge and yes I was very surprised myself as the seller said they're all about 8cm but some are bigger and I thought yeh right mate but he was telling the truth 

In the meantime I'll take a pic of my hand with a tape measure which should put things in perspective for you (unless you think I'd use a fake hand 😇😂) and I'm quite a big chap at 6' and 296lbs with pretty big hands so hope that helps till I find a minute to grab one and take a pic to present as evidence to the prosecution 🤣🤣🤣

I started posting here just to share information and knowledge and learn myself as I've got a massive collection and I've been enjoying my time here and tried to post a few things that I thought people would like to see but calling a new member a liar isn't very encouraging but I'm not a keyboard warrior and won't bother getting into anything as I'm really not arsed about negative opinions or otherwise like my dad always said if you've nothing nice or positive to say it's best to say nothing 😉

But I promise I'll post a measuring pic asap mate 

SB 

Because Blaberus just do not get that big. People make mistakes all the time in measurement, picture of the hand is hilarious though.

You gotta laugh when you can mate and like I said when the seller said how big they were all 8cm ish or bigger I thought EXACTLY what you did BUT when they arrived I thought bloody hell hello these buggers are not small 😳

I'll still do a pic for you tho 😉 because honestly scouts honour I know there's an 10+ ish one in there (it ran across the back of my hand and I'll catch it at some point and I'll definetly post a pic for you

There's a chewed wing one that's 9cm with chewed off wing ends so probably 10

Honestly they really are huge mate I've never seen anything this big before maybe their radioactive mutations from a secret lab somewhere 😂

But I'm definetly gonna selectively breed for length and width so it should be interesting to see how big they get especially with my dry food and care standard and there's already easily 100+ nymphs so with good care they should reach their Max size potential then you really won't believe me when I say I've got a 15cm one 😇🤣🤣🤣

SB 

On 9/18/2022 at 2:11 PM, Silverback said:

😳l'll still do a pic for you tho...

...maybe their radioactive mutations from a secret lab somewhere 

...I've got a 15cm one 😇🤣🤣🤣

I wanna see Roachzilla! When it comes out from the bark cave 

I'll definetly post a pic/s as soon as I can catch the bugger the problem is the tub is on the top shelf so just lifting it down they all scatter and hide then add my head torch and it's vanishing time but if I use super stealth mode and wait long enough they might come out to eat

BUT there's a few MUCH bigger than the one on my hand pic (89mm) and I can't wait to see how big the new nymphs get and how quick or slow they mature to adult especially with my high protein dry food as the nymphs especially love it tho I've found pretty much all nymphs of any species love high protein even when the adults don't

SB 

I'M NOT HAPPY AND IT'S ALL PETS FAULT 😡 

Fed the hybrids first last night and waited for them to come out and the monster actually made an entrance bit like Jurassic park the water crystals wobbling bark shaking 🤣

Managed to grab her as it's got to be a female so she's sat on my hand very quiet (some are crazy) posing for her photo so I get my phone ready turning my hand for best angle and she suddenly bolted up my arm like bloody Usain and launched off my shoulder did a buzz light-year and fell with style then ran straight under my shelves 🤬🤬🤬 

Still havn't found/caught her yet so I'm totally gutted as she was the biggest one by miles I'm just hoping some of the many nymphs are hers

I'll let you all know if I manage to find/catch her 

My other half hates all BIDDIES especially Roaches and especially GIANT roaches so I'm praying it doesn't turn up somewhere it shouldn't and she finds it cos I'll be sleeping in the shed tho it would be worth it to get her back 😳

SB 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for late reply but the simple answer is no as she was close to my heat source and was very damaged as when I was moving some heavy feed sacks which she was between but I didn't know that till I moved them and put a 25kg sack on top of her already dead dessicated body so I'm afraid there wasn't a great deal left to measure 

BUT I've still some Jurassic park individuals left so I'll do my best for a decent pic 

SB