Blaberus Hybrid Nymph

• 1 month later...

I didn't make them I bought them as feeders only (read the whole post I make it very clear) and they breed grow very quick and are bigger than anything else and they'll never be anything but one of my colonies and feeders so I don't see an issue and if you don't like that your entitled to your views but I'm not getting into a big debate about it 

SB 

9 hours ago, Silverback said:

I didn't make them I bought them as feeders only (read the whole post I make it very clear) and they breed grow very quick and are bigger than anything else and they'll never be anything but one of my colonies and feeders so I don't see an issue and if you don't like that your entitled to your views but I'm not getting into a big debate about it 

It's clear. I do not argue. As a feed, of course, hybrid crops are more optimal, for a number of reasons.

9 hours ago, Silverback said:

Just a thought how many Roach colonies do you have yourself ?

I don't have very many. That's because I'm only interested in a few subfamilies. For food I use Blaptica dubia and Gryllus locorojo.

When I said read the whole post I forgot the larger post was in a different section but fair enough and I actually agree about hybrids they're bad for every species but as you say for feeders they can have their uses and the sad part is the hybrids I have are a very pretty Roach and huge the smallest ones are about 7cm the biggest 10cm+ and they breed like runners and lobsters producing 20/30 nymphs at a time so a perfect big feeder for larger spiders reptiles etc 

I had to look up your red crickets as I'd never heard of them and found they carry a dangerous disease for other crickets which I assume you already know about but I'll put a section of what I read below just in case 

It is generally thought to be a bad idea to use exotic crickets in the pet-feeder trade as these easily escape and could possibly cause great harm to native or cultivated crops or could wipe out native cricket populations, either by competition or by introducing viruses or other diseases. Gryllus locorojo has been shown to carry the virus that wiped out the House Cricket in a high percentage of individuals, but is not affected by this itself. 

SB 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Silverback said:

I had to look up your red crickets as I'd never heard of them and found they carry a dangerous disease for other crickets which I assume you already know about but I'll put a section of what I read below just in case 

It is generally thought to be a bad idea to use exotic crickets in the pet-feeder trade as these easily escape and could possibly cause great harm to native or cultivated crops or could wipe out native cricket populations, either by competition or by introducing viruses or other diseases. Gryllus locorojo has been shown to carry the virus that wiped out the House Cricket in a high percentage of individuals, but is not affected by this itself. 

Wow! I didn't know they carried a specific virus. This is really bad news. Those crickets that I have come from the culture of the Leningrad Zoo and have been kept there since the 90s. I think that if there were any problems with pathogens, then he would have been excluded long ago. Apparently, this population was originally "pure". I think the main thing is not to add "fresh blood" to this culture, so as not to introduce the virus.

• Like 1