Rhino roach was on its back

Bhjjr

I caught it yesterday trying to flip back over and helped it out. Scary! I'm thankful (Happy Thanksgiving!) it is still running around today.

The substrate is only a cm or two deep. I see them getting in top of each other at times. I'm considering separating them.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

I've had this happen once or twice. While it's dangerous, I think even kept alone they can sometimes flip themselves over, probably just from attempting to climb out of their setup or something.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

I've had this happen once or twice. While it's dangerous, I think even kept alone they can sometimes flip themselves over, probably just from attempting to climb out of their setup or something.

I see your point. Thank you, Hissersude!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've found a flipped over rhino three more times. What's worse is I just lost one to an unsuccessful molt yesterday. That's the same way I lost my original pair about 10 years ago. I suppose it got too dry while I was away for the week at work.

Bummer

• Sad 2

Maybe try putting something in their enclosure that they would be able to grab and right themselves with. If you do put something in, make sure it's big enough or heavy enough that they won't just grab it and spin it with their legs like beetles will sometimes do.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kadupul said:

Maybe try putting something in their enclosure that they would be able to grab and right themselves with. If you do put something in, make sure it's big enough or heavy enough that they won't just grab it and spin it with their legs like beetles will sometimes do.

I made a quick cardboard ledge/frame that goes all the way around the edges and fits above the bottom of the tub. Then I attached fine brass mesh to the cardboard frame the length and width of the frame. I just wanted to wait another week and see how it worked before posting :)

4 hours ago, Allpet Roaches said:

I put plastic deli lids in the cage so they can hide under it and be able to turn themselves around. I don't have problems with them getting stuck on their backs except the uncommon adult. 

That's encouraging :) I was worried that the mesh insert I made might have been the cause of the bad molt due to movement restriction (albeit the mesh doesn't weigh hardly anything). I imagine if yours could hypothetically molt successfully under a deli cup lid then mine should be able to handle a lightweight mesh.

I'd like to try 3d printing a tunneled and textured living space for them, if I only had a 3d printer. 

On 12/21/2022 at 6:45 PM, Bhjjr said:

That's encouraging :) I was worried that the mesh insert I made might have been the cause of the bad molt due to movement restriction (albeit the mesh doesn't weigh hardly anything). I imagine if yours could hypothetically molt successfully under a deli cup lid then mine should be able to handle a lightweight mesh.

I'd like to try 3d printing a tunneled and textured living space for them, if I only had a 3d printer. 

That would be cool if you could print the long spiral cavern they live in but of course you'd need a lot of plastic.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Cucarachacamina said:

Any of your rhinos just eat like ALOT, like you think they might be done for a few hours or a day or two and they just keep consuming? Lol 

Who'd you decide to buy from?

The image I got in my head reading your post was that of a grazing cow in a field. What are you feeding them?

Allpet! :)  

right now i got so baked oak leaves as base and i have added some banana, apple, bugburger (which the rhinos and the other roaches DEVOURED) and just added some butternut squash, ate almost all of it. Like holy moly they just dont stop lol 

1 hour ago, Bhjjr said:

Who'd you decide to buy from?

The image I got in my head reading your post was that of a grazing cow in a field. What are you feeding them?

Allpet! :)  

right now i got so baked oak leaves as base and i have added some banana, apple, bugburger (which the rhinos and the other roaches DEVOURED) and just added some butternut squash, ate almost all of it. Like holy moly they just dont stop lol 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
22 hours ago, Allpet Roaches said:

I have an old male that I've been finding on his back now and then for a year. He can't live forever.

Is he still breeding?

I think the two I have left are a male and female, and I'm hoping both are adults with this last molt. I got a pair from you born in 2022 a long with a 2021 female last year.

The last segments are different sizes underneath. But there isn't really any difference in the "horns". I was expecting a difference there. 

On 3/31/2024 at 3:34 PM, Bhjjr said:

Is he still breeding?

I think the two I have left are a male and female, and I'm hoping both are adults with this last molt. I got a pair from you born in 2022 a long with a 2021 female last year.

The last segments are different sizes underneath. But there isn't really any difference in the "horns". I was expecting a difference there. 

He might be good for breeding, hard to say. The horns aren't like hissers but the pronotum should be a bit different in shape except small males aren't so different. Big and small males come from the same parents so it's really hard to say if you'll get a monster or a runt. Like hissers a brother can be 1/3 the mass of another.

• Thanks 1