A few general questions...

1. Do the burrowing roaches *Byrsotria spec.* like a bit of humidity? Is keeping them on vermiculite with some dead leaves ok? Is room temp or a little higher good for them?

2. Do harlequins like alot of humidity? What are good temps for them?

3. Do Madeira roaches like humidity? What are good temps for them?

Thanks! :D

Hi: First of all, i keep all my all roaches the same way.

I keep them all on compost, the only thing about compost is i use lids from plastic coffee jars for food.

If food is left on the compost it will turn moldy and make a mess, also no good for the roaches.

Vermiculite is okay as long as you moisten it here and there for a little humidity.

The temp in my reptile/roach room varies for 80 to 85 degrees so i dont really have to use extra heating for each cage.

Some of the roaches you mention ( the Byrsotria and madiera ) probably like to burrow.

I would use a substrate that can be compacted better, like compost, or i used to use "jungle mix" by ESU reptile.

Potting soil would work well too.

The harlequins, you dont have to worry about them trying to burrow, i just use egg crate for their housing.

What is important, is whatever substrate you use, must be moistened from time to time to give the roaches some humidity.

All roaches like a little humidity sometimes, its also important for livebearing roaches like hissers who use some humidity to help incubate their baby's inside.

If you use compost or potting soil, you should bake it in the oven to kill any pesky critters that may be living inside.

Hope this helps.

Any questions, dont hesitate to pm me.

Roachfreak101