Possible Roach Colony

I am interested in starting up my own feeder roach colony but I am unsure what roach I should use. Can someone please give me the roach that BEST falls with in the criteria I give. Also any hard won advice is welcome. Thanks!

1. Cannot climb glass

2. Breeds moderately fast

3. Is not fussy about tempuratures

4. Is not attractive... I dont want roaches that I will get attached to.

5. No "personality" For the same reason above.

6. Can live comforably in a ten gallon aquarium.

7. Is fairly soft bodied (for a roach)

What about lateralis? I am feeding wasps, turtles, and hornets BTW.

EASY ! There is a roach for every purpose in life:

Wasps: Blatta lateralis (aka "turkistans")

Turtles: Eublaberus posticus (aka "orangeheads")

Hornets: adult Nauphoeta cinerea (aka "lobster roach") (climbs, but easily retained)

As for #4- All species roaches are attractive.

Can you mix lats and lobs without predation or cross breeding? Actually only the orange head that you suggested is too attracive. The other two I could step on and feel no remorse. Though I would put them to more productive uses.

Is 10 gallon tank an acceptable container?

Why not try B. dubia roaches?

Easily contained, can't climb, don't fly, soft bodied, small nymphs (1/5 inch or so), big enough (1 1/2 - 2 1/2 inches) adults to feed to the turtles, moderate breeders kept at room temp, several hundred are easily housed in a 10 gallon tank, and easy husbandry. The only problem is that they are an attractive species, especially the adult females.

B. discoids are another good choice, and the larger adults may be better for the turtles, but honestly I think fusca may be a little large for what you need, at least my hybrid fusca are anyway.

Why not try B. dubia roaches?

Easily contained, can't climb, don't fly, soft bodied, small nymphs (1/5 inch or so), big enough (1 1/2 - 2 1/2 inches) adults to feed to the turtles, moderate breeders kept at room temp, several hundred are easily housed in a 10 gallon tank, and easy husbandry. The only problem is that they are an attractive species, especially the adult females.

B. discoids are another good choice, and the larger adults may be better for the turtles, but honestly I think fusca may be a little large for what you need, at least my hybrid fusca are anyway.

Because the roaches you mentioned are "cute" IMO. I like them too much.

I prefer containers that are less expensive and more durable than a 10 gallon tank. I use mostly clear plastic Sterlite tubs and plain ol' white buckets. For the ones with lats and lobsters in them I wiped a inch and a half thin smear of Vaseline in a band near the top. No escapes ever, and I have not had to reapply the Vaseline in the past year.

On this board I think "Gsc" posted how he makes bucket cages with photos and instructions....I kinda do the same with the tubs I use.

I prefer containers that are less expensive and more durable than a 10 gallon tank. I use mostly clear plastic Sterlite tubs and plain ol' white buckets. For the ones with lats and lobsters in them I wiped a inch and a half thin smear of Vaseline in a band near the top. No escapes ever, and I have not had to reapply the Vaseline in the past year.

On this board I think "Gsc" posted how he makes bucket cages with photos and instructions....I kinda do the same with the tubs I use.

I already have the 10 gallon tank though anyways I will checkout that article. Are these roaches capable of flying? My mom would not be thrilled to kknow that they are being kept with no covers in plastic tubs.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I still have to talk to mom about the roach colony further, she is open to the idea but I think she misunderstands what I want them for, she thinks I want them as pets instead of feeders, well anyway the prospects still look good for the roaches. I think I will get B lateralis as they seem more palitable to more animals.