1st Timer: Compatible cagemates?

I am an avid herper and exotic animal fan/caretaker but have always harbored the dream of having a large display tank containing insects. While I know vast amounts of info on herps, fish, birds, large animals, and many/most other exotics.. I know little on these guys! I would love to change that..

I am trying to find out which species are compatible.. I'm not really familiar with many insects that are kept as pets in general but I am thinking something along the lines of Hissers, Death's Head roaches, Giant Madagascar Millipedes... and anything that would go well with them. I am not sure if the listed species are compatible (they seem to have the same/similar req.s)...

Maybe these species won't do well and maybe there's another 'assortment' that will thrive better together? Any tips/advice/suggestions at all would be wonderful!

So...

Can Death's Head Roaches, Hissers, and Giant Millipedes live together? What else can go with them and whatnot?

How many specimens will a 29 gallon (high) hold? I mean, I'm not looking to have 30 of each roach type and 5 'pedes or anything... But I'm thinking some like 10/10/1.

They all seem to require the same care.. Which bedding is the best for them? I favor Nature's Bed/coconut fiber due to being environmentally sound in many ways as well as holding humidity well (moldy though?).

****Please also take a peak at my posting in the photo section... In reference to seeing other display tanks owned by forum members..

A 29 gallon (high) with a few inches of substrate and some logs could be a great cage for the three types of bugs you're looking to house. As long as you are careful to keep the populations from growing out of hand 10:10:5 sounds just fine for a 29. Coco fiber or potting soil with a few inches of ground, decayed hardwood leaves on top would work great.

Excellent! Thanks for the tips. As you all may know and be familiar with... It's very difficult to talk about this with friends and/or one's significant other! Haha.. They just don't understand! They hear "roach" and turn running. I keep trying to say "Hey, just think of them as beetles or something, they're harmless and cute! Besides, it's not like they're household roaches!"

It's when I say that they're "cute" that really gets them.. lol

I heard awhile back that somebody tried to house a giant millipede with hissers before and they ended up chewing off all of its little legs (It was on Petbugs.com I think). I'm not sure what kind of housing conditions and care conditions they had though but just something to keep in mind.

I heard awhile back that somebody tried to house a giant millipede with hissers before and they ended up chewing off all of its little legs (It was on Petbugs.com I think). I'm not sure what kind of housing conditions and care conditions they had though but just something to keep in mind.

Aww! The poor thing! I'll definitely be sure to keep a keen eye out for that sort of behavior. Thanks!

I heard (think it was here) that Blaberus giganteus can't be housed with hissers because the Gromphadorhina would eat the young giganteus :blink: . If it's true, I wouldn't suggest putting craniifer with them until further research is done. It sounds like a great display tank though, so I say Good Luck! :D