Giant Springtails

Ralph

I just learned about Tetrodontophora bielanensis, a springtail from Albania which can reach 9mm long! Does anyone know if they are in culture?

I just learned about Tetrodontophora bielanensis, a springtail from Albania which can reach 9mm long! Does anyone know if they are in culture?

I saw an ad for them last year but it was from a guy who is known to be.... not honest about what he sells. Kinda wish they were though because I would probably buy some myself! ;)

The 'giant' springtails in culture are around 1.5mm. A true giant species from Albania would be really great to have any many of us would be interested for the novelty alone but they would be useless as a clean up crew or food for tiny animals (which the 'giant's are good for and far larger than other cultured springtail species).

The former reason is what I wanted them for, I didn't intend to use them for cleaning. Too bad nobody sells 'em.