General roach info (reqd.)...

Is there any source online where I can learn how many young are produced by the various species, and how often a female can breed? Obviously, this will vary between species and set up, but some info is better than none...! :P

I'm alone in this world... :P

I've data for the most common pest species... but they're referred to 30°C temperature...

Temperature (but also food, humidity and other factors) has a remarkable influence on ootheca's number, births for ootheca, number of matings, etc.

Huntsman-

You are correct. There is no resource like what you are asking for. This has been a long-time dilemma for many of us, and the reason why I have been trying to collect this data myself for some time. You can't even find decent photos of some species nor any photo at all of most of them. There are papers written on several species that have been studied extensively, but they are all considered pest species or otherwise of scientific interest, which does not include many in the hobby today.

So in short- your best resource are the people who belong to this forum! Orin in particular- he has done more for the roach hobby than anyone.

Hey Matt -

Yeah, I think 95% of what I've learned in the last year has been from both you and Orin, so a big hat's off to you both!

Is the roach book worth getting? I'd have to import it and have nowhere in this country I could even take a look...

BTW Can oethecas found lying on the bottom of the bin just be tossed away? They don't get dropped temporarily and then re-used, surely? Thinking of lats here, but it applies to all species...

BTW I'll try and snap some shots of my R. maderae (not gold) that you requested, this weekend. :)

Paul

Matt and Effeci are both right, you can find some info on pest species and some of the common pets but there are many variables which make the details very subjective. The specific culture stock can be more important than husbandry.

Is the roach book worth getting? I'd have to import it and have nowhere in this country I could even take a look...

BTW Can oethecas found lying on the bottom of the bin just be tossed away? They don't get dropped temporarily and then re-used, surely? Thinking of lats here, but it applies to all species...

I think it's worth your times since it's rather inexpensive and the exchange rate is favorable. You can try e-bay or bugsincyberspace as I think those offer the cheapest international shipping rates (last I checked it was $10 shipping a book overseas on amazon). There is a bit of info but it is a small format handbook.

Keeping old oothecae? Sometimes the little babies hide out in old empty shells.

Thanks Orin -

So, this can explain why some people are failing with, say, N. rhombifolia, where other keepers have no problem at all? It could in fact be the stock itself? :o

Can you recommend any other books on the subject? It obviously makes more sense to bring in three or four in terms of shipping.

Paul

PS Good point with the ooths... B)