Heating with tape?

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anybody has ever tried using heating tape that is used on pipes to keep them from freezing to heat roach cages? If you have, did you have to do anything with the thermostat on them or do they stay at a temp not too hot or cold?

• 2 weeks later...
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anybody has ever tried using heating tape that is used on pipes to keep them from freezing to heat roach cages? If you have, did you have to do anything with the thermostat on them or do they stay at a temp not too hot or cold?

I have used what reptile keepers refer to as "heat tape" which is not the same thing but works on the same principle. I had it powered through a thermostat at the time. When my collection began to fill the whole room I stopped using it and went to a room heating device. As I recall it was difficult to really maintain a certain temp- it was always too warm or too cool and expedited the drying out of the substrate. Though I have heard of others using it quite successfully.

Thank you Matt, I found someone who had some heat cord used for herps so I'll use that. I thought about getting the pipe heat tape and found a place online to get the kind you use for herps in custom sizes and wattage which would be better. I'll have to see if the cord will work out. I am trying to devise a way to save on heating bills now. I gets pretty toasty here in summer so I am thinking about how to rig a small fan and tubing outside to blow air into the breeding cabinet inside and to let cooler air return out. Well once supplies are accounted for it's probably cheaper to pay a couple of cents to run pads and cord. Thanks though.