Eublaberus hybrids; What'll I get...

Zephyr

So I decided the other day I'd try to do something interesting; cross a male E. distanti with a female E. posticus. I've separated out each at the final instar before the adult molt.

Before I continue to let the two cohabitate, are the two species compatible genitalia and genetics wise? The main thing I'm interested in here is to see what the pronotum pattern of the adult hybrids would look like. I saw a pic of another Eublaberus on some foreign site and I'm wondering if it's possibly a hybrid.

So, any warnings etc I should be aware of? The young will be fed off to my herptiles when I'm done, unless of course they look interesting enough to culture.

• 1 year later...
So I decided the other day I'd try to do something interesting; cross a male E. distanti with a female E. posticus. I've separated out each at the final instar before the adult molt.

Before I continue to let the two cohabitate, are the two species compatible genitalia and genetics wise? The main thing I'm interested in here is to see what the pronotum pattern of the adult hybrids would look like. I saw a pic of another Eublaberus on some foreign site and I'm wondering if it's possibly a hybrid.

So, any warnings etc I should be aware of? The young will be fed off to my herptiles when I'm done, unless of course they look interesting enough to culture.

I tried both crosses (male distanti with female posticus, female distanti with male posticus) and I didn't get any offspring. I didn't even see any courting/mating behavior.

Its a free country(well, sort of...), but...

I've never liked the idea of hybridizing. Not in any species. Birds, reptiles, fish etc... I think its a bad idea all around. I've seen this subject covered on this forum before pretty thoroughly, so no need for details. I'm glad to hear you'll be feeding off the results of your experiment. Its confusing enough trying to learn all this new roach stuff without hybrids muddying the waters. Just look at the whole European craniifer deal. What a can o' worms that is...

E. prosticus and E. distanti must not be in the same one.

Or they are indeed both independent "viable species", that’s what we tend to go for in taxonomy. Also, I do agree that hybridizing things is not that great of an idea, I certainly would be not happy if I bought something that I was told was a pure strain but it has a hybrid. Hybridizing can cause a lot of problems for the hobby but I think in the right hands, with people that know what hell they are doing, these types of experiments are alright and do increase our knowledge (somewhat) of our “pets”.

i was just wondering about supposed disciod, cranifer, fuscia, and if any had any hybrids, as the roaches i got last time have three differant types of roach mixed together(dubia, black wing cranifer which the guy said had but figured they died out as he just over whelmed the bin with dubias over time he said, and another i cant identify but maybe supposed cranifer/fuscia hybrids guy said he had, or something else. there were some decent morghs starting to come out, and i can tell those as dubia though. so am puzzled asnd asking experts, as ive gone over everything on the board here. am tring to get discoids or false death heads, but cant seem to find any. are false death heads relly the beast feeder found by most in experiance? i was wondering about the top part as it is a concern if anything o would have would even waste time on tring to hybridise, when the best feeder already would exist, and not take away from productivity.

I am strongly opposed to hybrids. I dislike them with a passion..... :angry:

Hybrids in captive culture are a mistake and a failure on so many levels. Nothing good can come of it.

good, thats why im asking questions, as i suspect some might be going on if at all possible to prevent. also why im tring to find reliable stock (cheap hopefully with the economy), of false death heads, as alot of stuff saying theyre mixed in with fuscia and cranifer, and its confusing, not able to find out about it.

good, thats why im asking questions, as i suspect some might be going on if at all possible to prevent. also why im tring to find reliable stock (cheap hopefully with the economy), of false death heads, as alot of stuff saying theyre mixed in with fuscia and cranifer, and its confusing, not able to find out about it.

The first thing you need to ask it what is a false deaths head? B. fusca (Dusky cave) among other species of Blaberus spp. (and most likely various hybrids of such) are called that. Find out the Latin name and buy them, preferably from someone on this board, by that Latin name. That's really your best way to ensure you're getting what you want.

Let me also just say that I’m against selling hybrids, even if you sell them as such even for feeders. Because once you have a hybrid in your colony that’s it… the bloodline is tainted, game over.

• 3 weeks later...

thanks for the info, i have been boning up on the latin names, and so far am getting good at a few genus, but obviously am nothing more than a novice at this, so thanks for those of you conversing with me even though my questions seem confusing and unintentionally disruptive to things. i was just saying as so many say they just destroy their excess, and hybrids from experiments or accidental mixing, when it seems those would be the perfect ones to utilize as feeders for ones self or for others. so am just confused at the what seems to me waste of food for other critters at the least, that were taken the time to be cared for enough to become even a plight on someone. though breeding them for professional hobbyist and great profit isnt what id do anyway. i suppose i just dont know enough yet to understand the conflict correctly, to the point of destroying something you bothered to culture, just seems a waste. interesting experaments though i never hear anything about hybridizing roaches creating vast differences at all in anyway, that is what im most curious about. now if you could hybridize a glow roach to be bigger, and glow in captivity that would be an aw. right?