Your Top Five

I have a dried T. petiveriana specimen from India with round rather than square spots and the square ones throw some different colors too.

There are all sorts of species that might be the 5 greatest if available so I'll stick with those kept in the hobby.

1. Macropanesthia rhinoceros

2. Gromphadorhina oblongonota

3. Blaberus giganteus

4. Gyna lurida (nice yellow form only)

5. Deropeltis paulinoi

post-3-1219788127_thumb.jpg

Judging from that photo I would say its not a far stretch before that pattern morphs into the reverse question mark pattern on the supposed "grandjeani".

I am inclined to agree that Therea are Therea petriveriana variants. The only thing I wonder about is in my batch of Therea sp. "grandjeani", the males are usually quite a bit smaller than the females. Is this consistant with the variation or is it just a factor of the group that I have??

Also, my ranking (though it is a difficult choice):

1. Marcopanesthia rhinoceros

2. Gromphadorhina oblongata

3. Blaberus giganteus

4. Lucihormetica sp.

5. Therea sp.

The only thing I wonder about is in my batch of Therea sp. "grandjeani", the males are usually quite a bit smaller than the females.

Larger females are normal for the square Therea as well but some females are the same size or smaller. The question mark coloration and the normal round spotted coloration (dead specimen) both are smaller than the square spotted Therea.