Yet another erronneus news article

Ralph

Look here at how they treat the dung beetle (number 6?)! http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26633725/ Dung beetles are vital to the ecosystem, and all they get is a passing glance at the gross side (one sentence at the end explains the correct view. I don't like how they treat the other animals either. I usually like msnbc, but this article is un-called for!

I brought a dung beetle back from Arizona a few weeks ago. I asked my three kids which one of them was going to donate dinner for the beetle. My eight year old son was quick to raise his hand. I won't go into too much detail, but I stopped him seconds after he was in the bathroom with a paper plate :lol: There was a lot of giggling through the household during all this. Funny!

I realized I spelled "erroneous" wrong! Peter, that's a nice story :lol: ! Arachyd, the link works fine for me, I don't know what's wrong.

If you look at any of those organisms none are gross. In my opinion if you look at ANY organism closely, it isn't gross. It's just adapted a way to survive that may not be very aesthetically pleasing to humans. Try not to take that kind of thing too personally, remember this: there are the biologists...and then everyone else.

Look here at how they treat the dung beetle (number 6?)! http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26633725/ Dung beetles are vital to the ecosystem, and all they get is a passing glance at the gross side (one sentence at the end explains the correct view. I don't like how they treat the other animals either. I usually like msnbc, but this article is un-called for!

You are very right. Your last statement "there are biologists, and then there are everyone else" is true and funny at the same time!

I for one am a major fan of vultures (one of the other creatures on the list). They are so big, harmless, and very useful. As we went to an event this spring there was a dead deer in a field next to the road that the vultures had just started to pick at. When we came home a few hours later, there was nothing but bones left. How cool! It was a good sized deer too.

It is true though. At my university there are many Biology majors that I wouldn't consider biologists, most not even scientists, because they are just as thick headed and simple minded as the general public (and yet they go on to be dentists and doctors...). I will come off of my horse to say that most of them can't help it, it is a learned behavior. I mean vultures are magnificent creatures, highly intellegent yet becuase they eat carrion they are gross while budgies and parrots are somehow amazing. Just goes to show you that the same distain that is given to invertabrates is extended out to other branches of life as well (although they do get the worst treatment in my opinion).

You are very right. Your last statement "there are biologists, and then there are everyone else" is true and funny at the same time!

I remember when I was a vulture for Halloween once... Anyway, word should get out to the general public that these animals aren't disgusting in ways other than a "gross summer camp for 6 year olds". BugmanPrice, parrots are actually very intelligent.

I thought the little slideshow was pretty good, despite the attention grabbing title. Like Dragnet "Just the facts, ma'am."

The bots definitely deserve to be there. I remember (mom said it was a bot), watching my mom get one out of a kitten's neck. That was awful, whatever it was. The kitten was okay though.

All birds are very intelligent. Even my chickens are very smart.

You should have seen the girls in my Biology class when we were playing with... I'm sorry, "studying" isopods (I was playing). They wouldn't even touch them. Heck I've been playing with "roly polies" since I was little. They had to pick them up with a scoop. I just reached in and picked them up. "Like, OMG, how can you do that?" Oh boy aren't they going to be surprised when my hissers move in to the professor's room for the winter.

Worms, to me, are still horribly gross. To this day, I will not touch them, tiptoe around them on the wet pavement, and they give me the heebiejeebies. They should be on that list! I know that they aerate the soil and whatnot, but *shudder* ick!