G. oblongonota enclosure

OBJ

On the fair 2 weeks ago in Hamm, Germany, I bought some G. oblongonota.

Good, strong looking individuals and they were stored in their small boxes in a styrophor-box in the bus for the return-journey to Denmark. The strongest male was in the bottom together with two females with 3 boxes on top of them.

But the journey is long (>8 hours) so if you are an impatient male - what can you do?

When we came back the bus driver discovered a "huge roach" in the luggage compartment, but he did not panic - he has tried it before...

The oblongonota male had pushed open his plastic container with 3 on top, squeezed himself out and opened the big styrophor box and was free. Probably the cold slowed him down. But in the styrophor box was also one of his females.

At home he showed me the trick again (see photo). Making a lot of noise with the hooks on his legs and using his horns he pushed one corner open and escaped again.

G_oblongonota_1_.jpg

He measures 94 mm bodylength and is 32 mm wide. Upon return from Hamm he weighted 22 grammes.

Every night he fights the other male. They refurnish the cage - lots of commosion and moving corkbark around..

G_oblongonota_2_.jpg

Sorry the pics were snapshots - he was quicker than one might think. :)

BR/

Ole

Nice story! My portentosas have done stuff like that before. :lol: I also had no idea that oblongatas were so huge! Good luck with them!

• 3 weeks later...

I sleep part of the night in my bugroom until my wife gets up for work (I work nights). The G. oblongonota and desert hairy scorpions are by far the worst noise offenders. Took some getting used to! Definitely my favorite hissers!

The G. oblongonota and desert hairy scorpions are by far the worst noise offenders.
Since the big males mark their territory every night, do you separate them thus getting one "family" in one container or maybe that would be unnatural since a little competition keeps the males fit and alert? On the other hand they would have room for a larger territory in nature.

The tree roots in their terrarium is where they hang out. They get down to the food dishes during the night. Do you provide food (hanging) in the stub?

BR/

Ole

Like all my other roaches, I just keep them together. I do hear them hiss, almost nightly. It's been interesting to watch this particular small group I have. A single male sits on top of the egg crate, while the other adult male nests with the females and nymphs underneath. Is the male outside the dominant male, or the male inside? I have a small feeding dish on top of the rather moist substrate. I place food in that most of the time since (in a 1.5 gallon plastic "shoebox"). However, I drop pieces of carrot and other more mold-resistant veggies on the substrate too. Lots of babies doing really well!

I do hear them hiss, almost nightly.
But Peter, since you work nights, either you bring the roaches with you or you work from home.... :rolleyes:

I place food in that most of the time since (in a 1.5 gallon plastic "shoebox").
Why do you feed in a shoe box? Is it dark inside or ...?

Thanks for the advice. I prefer to wait raising the moisture level until the phorid flies are gone - hopefully... :angry:

When you use the term "egg crate" - what meaning do you put into that?

BR/

Ole

• 2 months later...

I just got 5 G. portentosa and was concidering getting a few oblongonota in a while...was wondering if the two species could/would interbreed?

The different species of the genus Gromphadorhina (or 'princisia' for that matter) should never be mixed as you will almost certainly get hybrids. <_<

You can refer to the article in Invertebrates Magazine 8-1, December 2008, p. 10, about G. oblongonota. Pictures by 'our own' Matt. :blink:

So why has the name 'princisia' not been droppet since it is 'just' another Gromphadorhina?? :rolleyes:

BR/

Ole

Interesting...good to know, Thanks...can't wait to get my G. oblongonota's ;)

Interesting...good to know, Thanks...can't wait to get my G. oblongonota's ;)

While I have never allowed for hybridization, I am pretty sure any of the Gromphadorhina sp. and 'Princisia' variety can/will hybridize.

My opinion: Never keep any two varieties of roaches together ever under any circumstances.

While I have never allowed for hybridization, I am pretty sure any of the Gromphadorhina sp. and 'Princisia' variety can/will hybridize.

My opinion: Never keep any two varieties of roaches together ever under any circumstances.

Yeah...that's probably a good idea...I want the two seperate species as colonies...might one day after I get them both established try it under controled conditions just to see the outcome, but they will be kept seperate from the others...