hisser care

Well, I've started my first colony of Gromphadorhina portentosa colony, and am still working out the arrangements! So... I have seen the wide menu of items that they enjoy, and am looking forward to hitting them up with a salad variety. On the meaty side, however, I had a question. I have read that they can get their protein needs from dog food, but how about cat food? Our cat eats the "healthy, organic" variety, so it should be pretty decent nutrition. But I've read that some animals can't eat cat food, and will vomit it up or get sick. How about my hissers? Any feedback is appreciated!

:P

Edit: Sorry, I guess this should be in the feeding section.

I have not seen any difference in health from using dog food, cat foods, or all purpose fish foods. I personally use fish food pellets for pond/game fish.

Like Orin said, they are all just as acceptable. Don't worry about thier protein requirements- they are not meat eating mosters in nature- in the wild they seem to feed on cactus and other foliage while scavenging on other material.

By the way Kaddock- nice choice of avatar! I wish those were available in USA cultures.... ;)

In addition to dog and cat food, I've found that they love chicken noodle soup stuff, excluding the broth. What kind of cockroach is that in your avatar, it's beautiful! :o

• 2 weeks later...
In addition to dog and cat food, I've found that they love chicken noodle soup stuff, excluding the broth. What kind of cockroach is that in your avatar, it's beautiful! :o

I have no idea what kind of cockroach it is! :P

Here's another awesome one: http://www.discoverlife.org/IM/I_JP/0011/3...ch,I_JP1111.jpg

Thanks for the replies, I am feeding them fluker's cricket gut load right now... Is that sane?