Hello Everyone!!!

CodeWilster

First of all, this is awesome that there is a roach forum! :lol:

Well my name is Cody Will. My dumb user name was what my ludicrous high school chemistry teacher called me. I am currently a student at Shasta College here in Northern CA. I am in the process of studying entomology and zoology, and will soon be transfering to the UC system. I have a passion for animals, particularly 'bugs', as well as art, photography, sports, and anything involving outdoors and nature. I currently own over 100 theraphosids, about 50 Ctenizids/Mygalomorphs, lots of Blattaria, and other things. Other clubs/forums I am a part of include SFBATS, SCABIES, ATS, bugguide, and Arachnoboards. As a student I am also working at the local pet store here in my small home city. I am a firm believer and follower of Christ, and it is to Him that I give everything to and do everything in light of. My love for Him and my passionate hobbies/interests, respectively; I guess one could say represent my life in a nut shell. I consider myself a very kind and approachable individual, and love hearing from anyone and everyone.

In regards to this forum (accidentally found on google), I've been into creepy crawlies since I was two years old. My first tarantula I got when I was nine, then at 16/17 it suddenly went from one to about 50 and is now around 100 different species. How I got into roaches is sort of a funny story. I bought a spider from a gal in Oregon and as a freebie she sent me about a dozen mix-sized B. fusca roaches (thanks funnylori!) I had been thinking about using roaches as feeders but these things were way too cool to feed. Now, I am beginning to collect roaches. With how fast my tarantula collection grew I unfortunately do not see it any differently with the roaches, and will most likely have multiple species/colonies in the very near future. Who ever knew that bug collecting could be so addicting?! So now thanks to Matt K (in process of a trade as I type this) I will soon have a good head start with some very nice oddball/rare stuff, along with my B. fusca colony and a good sized B. orientalis colony I found in my backyard.

Ok so that's about it for my very excessive "hello". I cannot wait to meet everybody and I look forward to sharing thoughts, ideas, knowledge, pictures, experiences, and everything else valuable to a forum such as this. IMO Roaches are a lot of fun and the way I see it they are just as overrated as tarantulas if not more so (at least to everyone I know!). Anyway I hope to network with some friendly people here and become an active member and contributor of this forum. From what I can see it looks VERY resourceful, promising, and fun :)

Regards,

~Cody

Hi Cody,

Nice to have you aboard!

I think you meant cockroaches were underrated as pets. I think they're a bit more underrated in society has a whole than Ts but make even better pets.

Are you going to the ATS conference?

I think that can be taken either way. Underrated as pets because they make great pets, but overrated in that the word "roach" to some people = spread of disease, crawling in your bed at night, living in your kitchen, multiplying by the millions, etc. My girlfriend has handled many of my Ts but will not go near a "roach", first thing my parents said a while back when I got my first ones was "if those get out and into my pantry and spread throughout the house I'll bug-bomb the entire place including your T room", and those are just two examples lol. I can explain to my parents that less than a percent of the world's roaches are pests, the ones I have cannot survive the winter here, etc. but it doesn't change anything. I wish I would have told them all from the start that they were just an exotic beetle because "beetle" is not "roach" which they seem to have a biased prejudice toward lol. Everybody I know just recently got over the whole tarantula ordeal after a couple years so it might be a little while before they can tolerate "roaches" ;)

Unfortunately I cannot make it to the ATS conference this year :( With graduation going on among lots of other things I didn't even plan for it. I'll be sure to consider it next time though! It would definitely be an upgrade from the SFBATS meetings, which are loads of fun already! :lol:

Thanks for the welcome!

~Cody

You sound like me. Into apologetics at all?

Anyway, congratulations on joining the forum!

You sound like me. Into apologetics at all?

Anyway, congratulations on joining the forum!

If you mean that in terms of defending biblical truths then DEFINITELY. Shouldn't we all be? :)

And thanks! I can't wait to start getting busy around here. I love sharing pictures and so I know I'll do a lot of that real soon! I've got a couple of large orders coming in with a variety of stuff. I'll be sure to post it! So, moderators, I do my best to read the rules but beware I am still a newb :blink:

We were all newbs once, (I probably still am!) but the learning curve with bugs isn't too steep. :)

I just meant watch out for posts in the wrong places and so forth lol I've been keeping live bugs for a couple of years now, still have a lot to learn but I wouldn't exactly call myself a complete newb nor an <---"eggcase". :P