Help clear things up.....hybrid?

Hello Roach Fans....

I stumbled on a website claiming they specialize in Dubia\Discoid hybrids... I was under the impression that roaches of different genus's couldn't reproduce together. Species is one thing but diffrent genus? Could someone pleas enlighten me on the topic?

buddylee79

What's the website? Do they have any pics, because none would make me think it's fake even more.

They just look like a smaller Blaberus to me. Parabolicus or Boliviensis maybe?

if you read the description for the "hybrid" they claim they take the looks of the discoids. Could one suppose they are selling small discoids as an "exclusive hybrid"? I have noticed in my discoids that some are quite smaller than others, near dubia size. I am new and uneducated in this field, but it seems like trying to breed a tiger with a domestic short hair. Both are "cats" but one is Felidae and the other Panthera. I would be nice if the "internet" had an "accurate filter" so nothing but the truth could be "posted". It is unfortunate that "truth" isn't easier to find than "un-truth".

buddylee79

ps....sorry for the rant and all the quotes

I noticed that claim too. With such different roaches, there would have to be some dubia traits visible in them, like female's wings. The smaller discoid theory is a good idea. If we come across anyone who has/is willing to buy some, we would get more information.

By the way, I think Bigfoot's real!

I noticed that claim too. With such different roaches, there would have to be some dubia traits visible in them, like female's wings. The smaller discoid theory is a good idea. If we come across anyone who has/is willing to buy some, we would get more information.

By the way, I think Bigfoot's real!

I call Shenanigans on this one. Species names are spelled wrong. Photos have innaccuracies. Bigfoot is way more probably than these hybrids. There is even a better chance of any other mythological creature....

Sooner or later I will post pics of roach anatomy and show what keys fit and wont fit which locks.....

I call Shenanigans on this one. Species names are spelled wrong. Photos have innaccuracies. Bigfoot is way more probably than these hybrids. There is even a better chance of any other mythological creature....

Sooner or later I will post pics of roach anatomy and show what keys fit and wont fit which locks.....

Great...I can't wait...thanks Matt.

This is interesting. I know a guy who gave me some dubias out of a colony where he was co-habbing them with B. Fusca, and the one's he gave me were way more orange than a normal dubia. Here's a few pictures..

Male:

Picture327-1.jpg

Pair:

Picture1374.jpg

Nymph:

Picture332-1.jpg

I think you just have some nicely colored roaches(although I am no expert)....I too have some highly orange dubias, as shown in the "my Girls" thread.

Blaptica dubia are a highly variable species. When these things show up people on another forum have a tendancy to post it as a "newly discovered morph" which is very incorrect.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

QUOTE (Ralph @ Jul 20 2009, 04:06 PM)

Both are "cats" but one is Felidae and the other Panthera. I would be nice if the "internet" had an "accurate filter" so nothing but the truth could be "posted". It is unfortunate that "truth" isn't easier to find than "un-truth".

buddylee79

ps....sorry for the rant and all the quotes

You must mean Felis and not Felidae (Felidae is a family).

Blaptica dubia are a highly variable species. When these things show up people on another forum have a tendancy to post it as a "newly discovered morph" which is very incorrect.

How about call those variations a breed? Haha. :)

• 1 month later...