Mites are good for controlling Hisser fungi

Psydeus565

Hello everyone, I've been lurking around soaking up all of the excellent knowledge you've all contributed to this forum. I came across this article and decided to contribute it here. It's already apparent that the mites are beneficial, here's a good source in case anyone would have need of it.

"Mites On Hissing Cockroach May Benefit Humans With Allergies"

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/...90429132243.htmArticle Here

• 1 year later...

I often find hisser mites in the frass at bottom of hisser bins. Although they do keep the hissers clean I'm not too sure of their effectiveness. My least smelly, "cleanest" hisser bin, G. grandidieri "black," have little to no mites present. Now, this could be a case of cause-effect or vice versa, but when I first received them they had a horrible stench, so much so that I had to rinse them in a warm water/hydrogen peroxide solution to get rid of it. I figure this could have killed off their mites. Who knows; one day we'll figure it out.

I often find hisser mites in the frass at bottom of hisser bins. Although they do keep the hissers clean I'm not too sure of their effectiveness. My least smelly, "cleanest" hisser bin, G. grandidieri "black," have little to no mites present. Now, this could be a case of cause-effect or vice versa, but when I first received them they had a horrible stench, so much so that I had to rinse them in a warm water/hydrogen peroxide solution to get rid of it. I figure this could have killed off their mites. Who knows; one day we'll figure it out.

Hmmmm. I used to hate mites..... now I'm not so sure....