Roach Enthusiasm

My dubia culture is really taking off. It seems to have hit that critical mass point. I started it at the beginning of September with 100 mixed from James T. at the Anaheim reptile show. There were only a few adults and mostly large nymphs. Most of those nymphs are now adults and all of the egg flats are crawling with hundreds of babies. I bought them with the intention of feeding my many hungry mouths, but I like them so much, that I can't bring myself to feed them out. I didn't anticipate that. I also just found my first discoid adult. He's a male and smaller than I anticipated, but very cool. He started puking on me when I caught him up to check him out. No B. fusca adults yet, but some really big nymphs. I'm really enjoying myself and love what I have found here. Since nobody that I know is too into this, I thought I'd share my enthusiasm with the other people out there in the world who "get it". I've seen from the breeder feedback section that a lot of people are adding new species to their collections. I'd love to hear updates on the progress and any tips for what worked or what didn't. I've learned so much from this site, but I hunger for more knowledge. Thanks to everyone who has contributed in the past. You've given so many an education that couldn't be had any other way. I look forward to what's to come.

I agree it is hard to find people who "get it" to share in the enjoyment. As for the trouble with using them as feeders, buy some crickets and take a big whiff, you will only need a dozen, then stick your face in the roach tub and take a whiff a thousand roaches smell way better then a dozen crickets. lol :P I have realized I enjoy my roaches way more than anything else I keep.

James M.

Congratulations, sounds like you are on the path to rampant blattophilia… it does tend to sneak up on you!

It didn't sneak up on me. It mugged me in broad daylight and hit me over the head.

By using them as feeders yoiu are really doing them a favor. The colony needs culling to stay healthy and not get overcrowded.

I've been feeding out a lot of the hissers. I've got three 18 gal. tubs full of them. Once I get a few thousand of the others sp. going, I'm sure I won't mind thinning them out too. But these dubia are my first generation and I'm a little protective and attached. They are the direct offspring of my first non-hisser colony. Once there are several thousand all mixed in there, the wholesale slaughter will begin. As it has gone with the hissers. The sentimentality only goes so far with me...

I agree it is hard to find people who "get it" to share in the enjoyment. As for the trouble with using them as feeders, buy some crickets and take a big whiff, you will only need a dozen, then stick your face in the roach tub and take a whiff a thousand roaches smell way better then a dozen crickets. lol :P I have realized I enjoy my roaches way more than anything else I keep.

James M.

I hate crickets! I've handled tens of thousands. Used to work in a pet store. I used to get out of bed in the middle of the night and viciously hunt them down and exterminate them in my house. It made me stay away from insectivores for many years. Now that I found roaches, I'm going back to some of my old favorite reptiles. I'm actually trying to give some of the adult male roaches as pets to some kids of friends and relatives. You know, to start out the next generation of roach keepers the right way. ALL of the wives of the affected parties have made it very clear, that I'm not welcome to bring any "New Pets" to their homes. Some have threatened bodily harm! My little girl loves it when they run up and down her arm and she giggles to no end when they flutter back into their tubs. Anyhow, thanks for the reply and Happy Roaching.

Sometimes, watching roaches, you just get this sense of total awesomeness that's almost indescribable. Very rewarding. It's great how much little kids enjoy them too! I actually like crickets though. :o

Among the variety of bugs I keep, I consistently appreciate the colony aspects of roaches. I spent about 2 hours last night, off and on, going back and forth to the roach bins in the dark with a flashlight. I had boiled some frozen veggies (mix of corn, peas, carrots and green beans) and placed them in every bin, within an upside down milk jug cap. The corn was by far the popular item, peas second (mashed ones went first) and green beans and carrots pretty much tied. Some species fed in the bowls (particularly the youngest nymphs) while some carried pieces off to hoard and eat in privacy. I also found a bag of alfalfa meal (reptile bedding) that hadn't really worked out for the reptiles. I dropped some of this into a few of the bins. Some species loved it, while others were only half interested. I didn't test it will all of them yet, but the response seemed quite favorable overall. Unfortunately, one sub-adult B. giganteus mysteriously died in a corner near the larger food dish. I am hoping the alfalfa meal was not the cause because I don't plan to remove it at this time.

In the bug world there are constant opportunities to experience that thrill of excitement in learning something that most, if any, people don't know. It's that thrill of discovery in our otherwise sanitary, concrete and grass, modern world. On any given day, any one of us can be the first person in the history of the world to learn that a particular roach species does or doesn't eat such and such food. And comparing notes is a lot of fun!

• 10 months later...

Digging up an old thread here. :)

For the past 3 years or so I had tended only two species of roaches. Blaptica dubia and Blaberus fusca hybrids. (I no longer have the hybrids) I have since expanded my collection to nine different species with the help of people on arachnoboards and here...namely Zephyr haha. I keep other inverts, mainly scorpions, but roaches have become something of an obsession. I am envious of some of you more established breeders on here, I really hope to increase my collection in the near future. This is something I can certainly see myself doing for a ridiculously long time.

My wife doesn't seem to get it, or care really...as long as they don't stink up the house, escape, or are put on her she is fine with ignoring the red glow in the corner of the living room. I will say however, without sites like this the hobby would feel rather lonely. I've never met another person who felt the same way about bugs as I did until I came online. I really find this hobby one of the most relaxing and rewarding ones I've ever gotten in to.

I am a fine artist (Jeweler and sculptor) as well and I've developed my portfolio around the use of the less observed and under-appreciated things in this world. Insects, particularly the cockroach has become one of my favorite tools in making my artwork. I use dried specimens and metal castings from actual roaches and make some of the most approachable cockroaches out there for the average person. I've certainly learned that turning a roach into a static solid piece of silver still gives most people the creeps but they are willing to look at it, investigate it, and truly appreciate it for the beautiful little critter that it is. www.blantonamspacher.artworkfolio.com for quick reference; I'm not pushing sales here, just putting it out there. :P

Basically I'm just a roachnerd that is just happy about the hobby. A big thanks to the online community and sites like this. :)

I didn't know we had another metal artist here! But yes, we on Roachforum are like an enormous extended family connected across the world by cockroaches. Any new converts to Blattodea should read this thread.

I didn't know we had another metal artist here! But yes, we on Roachforum are like an enormous extended family connected across the world by cockroaches. Any new converts to Blattodea should read this thread.

Do you have a website Ralph? I'm always interested in seeing other peoples work! Especially if it's insect related. :)