Reptiles

Roachman26

Thanks to the site moderators for opening this new category! :D

I've currently got:

3 small adult sulcattas that I raised from hatchlings. Two males and a female. My female laid her first clutch last year in January(three eggs, not fertile) and she's just started digging test holes again. Hopefully this year I'll get a few more eggs and some will be fertile. She's still on the small side at 15", but she's around nine years old. The two males are bigger, about 18" and eleven years old. Had to separate them two years ago due to fighting. Their outdoor pen is about 6000 square feet with a heated Rubbermaid container for cold spells.

1 year old baby sulcatta. Probably female. Housed indoors, but has a 30'x15' outdoor pen for sunning on warm days.

7 hatchling black-throat monitors. Instant breeding colony! They are all captive hatched in North America. Bred in Tanzania on a "farm". We'll see how well they adjust to the Northern Hemisphere.

1 last years hatchling red tegu. Currently hibernating. Should have bought more. Plan to in the spring/summer when they hatch. Any body got a line on red tegu stock that originally came from Bert Langerwerf's stock? I loved Bert and would like to carry on his line.

1 ancient 16 year old female Iguana. She had MBD when we got her ten years ago. She mostly recovered, but moves kind of slow in the back end.

Now that I've discovered the wonderful world of roaches, I'm debating whether or not to jump back into chameleons again. Love the Mellers and Panthers.

I'd love to discuss any aspect of mine or yours. Also, I think I've put together enough of the pieces of the puzzle to solve the mystery of pyramiding in tortoises. Does this interest anyone?

My wife and kids have been after a tortoise for awhile. We (they, really) have the following:

bearded dragon (red morph, sandfire I think)

veiled chameleon

cornsnake (butter morph)

banded gecko

leopard gecko

water dragon

We almost got a frilled dragon a couple weeks ago, but will probably be looking for a colorful mate for our male beardie instead.

I personally like the bugs better than the reptiles, but it's always fun to tell visitors "yeah, her pets eat my pets"!

And yeah, I'll bite on that pyramiding tortoise mystery!

My wife and kids have been after a tortoise for awhile. We (they, really) have the following:

bearded dragon (red morph, sandfire I think)

veiled chameleon

cornsnake (butter morph)

banded gecko

leopard gecko

water dragon

We almost got a frilled dragon a couple weeks ago, but will probably be looking for a colorful mate for our male beardie instead.

I personally like the bugs better than the reptiles, but it's always fun to tell visitors "yeah, her pets eat my pets"!

And yeah, I'll bite on that pyramiding tortoise mystery!

Hey, at least a tortoise won't be eating any of your "pets". Do "they" know what kind of tortoise they'd like? Can you post a pic of your calyptratus? They are the third member of my top three favorites. That was the first chameleon I ever owned. I'll do the pyramiding theory on its own thread.

Cool, a reptile section!

Well, I/we keep 'only' 2.3 bearded dragon color morphs cause we just don't have the space for more.

But tokays, a panther chameleon, and horned lizards are on our wish list...

P.S. What is a tortoise pyramide?

Cool, a reptile section!

Well, I/we keep 'only' 2.3 bearded dragon color morphs cause we just don't have the space for more.

But tokays, a panther chameleon, and horned lizards are on our wish list...

P.S. What is a tortoise pyramide?

Pyramiding is when each individual scute grows upward instead of just spreading outward. Each scute then looks like a "pyramid". In other words the carapace looks kind of like a used knobby motorcycle tire instead of smooth and relatively rounded. It seems to be only a cosmetic thing, except in rare, extremely severe cases. I'm going to start a thread on my theory for what causes it soon.

• 1 month later...
Thanks to the site moderators for opening this new category! :D

I've currently got:

3 small adult sulcattas that I raised from hatchlings. Two males and a female. My female laid her first clutch last year in January(three eggs, not fertile) and she's just started digging test holes again. Hopefully this year I'll get a few more eggs and some will be fertile. She's still on the small side at 15", but she's around nine years old. The two males are bigger, about 18" and eleven years old. Had to separate them two years ago due to fighting. Their outdoor pen is about 6000 square feet with a heated Rubbermaid container for cold spells.

1 year old baby sulcatta. Probably female. Housed indoors, but has a 30'x15' outdoor pen for sunning on warm days.

7 hatchling black-throat monitors. Instant breeding colony! They are all captive hatched in North America. Bred in Tanzania on a "farm". We'll see how well they adjust to the Northern Hemisphere.

1 last years hatchling red tegu. Currently hibernating. Should have bought more. Plan to in the spring/summer when they hatch. Any body got a line on red tegu stock that originally came from Bert Langerwerf's stock? I loved Bert and would like to carry on his line.

1 ancient 16 year old female Iguana. She had MBD when we got her ten years ago. She mostly recovered, but moves kind of slow in the back end.

Now that I've discovered the wonderful world of roaches, I'm debating whether or not to jump back into chameleons again. Love the Mellers and Panthers.

I'd love to discuss any aspect of mine or yours. Also, I think I've put together enough of the pieces of the puzzle to solve the mystery of pyramiding in tortoises. Does this interest anyone?

i always loved chameleons (especially the jacksons), and was way ahead on the the fact that reflective and a hard barrier are what cause most problems with them, along with not letting them stretch out their tongue fully when feeding, along with stretching to reach from one spot to another.

ive only had box turtles, but would love to have a tortoise if i ever get a house. right now i am down to in herps: a proven pair of king snakes (female, desert phase, aberrant, striped, cali king. male, mex, thayer, green phase, king.). four ball pythons. five female leopord geckos which only two are some what normals. a pair of toads. ive bred (mostly on accident way to much), and cared for many a type of, and groups of herps though.

• 1 year later...

we have various reptiles / bug eaters namely 1 nile monitor (juvenile?) still setteling in ....2 bearded dragons ...few leo's ....a chameleon and a trio of aph hedgehogs we also have 3 green iguana's thought these are herbivores still looking for a watercress and spring greens forum

im on the look out for a blackthroat monitor and id love a bosc/sav sometime in the future

• 3 months later...

I've got a male and female red tail boa they are a breeding pair.One box turtle he just turned 11.. One baby red ear sliders.One bright red pygmy rattlesnake.One brooks king snake.One argentine black and white tegu.

i now have: one tokay gecko (i know not desired by most, but was a dream pet to me). one leopard gecko. three bearded dragons. two kingsnakes. one ball python. add a chinease water dragon, and ill have all the herps ive ever wanted, ive had at some point or other, besides a yellow anaconda, and rattlesnake.

i having to downsize, just gave to herp guy, for zoo: one large juvi savanna monitor, four leopard geckos, two ball pythons, and one tarantula. others may have forgotten as well as very many assorted birds and mammals.

i now have: one tokay gecko (i know not desired by most, but was a dream pet to me). one leopard gecko. three bearded dragons. two kingsnakes. one ball python. add a chinease water dragon, and ill have all the herps ive ever wanted, ive had at some point or other, besides a yellow anaconda, and rattlesnake.

i having to downsize, just gave to herp guy, for zoo: one large juvi savanna monitor, four leopard geckos, two ball pythons, and one tarantula. others may have forgotten as well as very many assorted birds and mammals.

Rattlesnakes you will have to cheak your state laws.You'll probly be able to get one long as you have a hunting and fishing license :) i'd start out with a smaller species of rattler.There easier to contral and less deadly.Even though they are sometimes more aggersive pygmys think they are ten feet long and 100 pounds..Everytime I go to change the water she rushes out from her hide to put the smacketh down on my candy asss :rolleyes: she only about a foot long right now.Think it is done growning almost.She's a good little display however.As for anadocondas i wouldn't buy one unless I had 5000.00 dollars laying around

Rattlesnakes you will have to cheak your state laws.You'll probly be able to get one long as you have a hunting and fishing license :) i'd start out with a smaller species of rattler.There easier to contral and less deadly.Even though they are sometimes more aggersive pygmys think they are ten feet long and 100 pounds..Everytime I go to change the water she rushes out from her hide to put the smacketh down on my candy asss :rolleyes: she only about a foot long right now.Think it is done growning almost.She's a good little display however.As for anadocondas i wouldn't buy one unless I had 5000.00 dollars laying around

why five thousand for the ana, and your rattler attacks and tags you, or it just tries and you hook, tongs it, or just get the heck outta there? id probably just settle for a colubrid that looks similar. though had two cotton heads, and known those who have had rattlers, copperheads, cotton mouthes, and two kinda of cobra, as well as lesser water cobras etc (one guy i knew had a momba, but was saying how it kept getting out and would be found loose in his garage, or in yard after monthes no problem, even though he had a bunch of rugrats, and hardly any cages were locking).

why five thousand for the ana, and your rattler attacks and tags you, or it just tries and you hook, tongs it, or just get the heck outta there? id probably just settle for a colubrid that looks similar. though had two cotton heads, and known those who have had rattlers, copperheads, cotton mouthes, and two kinda of cobra, as well as lesser water cobras etc (one guy i knew had a momba, but was saying how it kept getting out and would be found loose in his garage, or in yard after monthes no problem, even though he had a bunch of rugrats, and hardly any cages were locking).

She just get goes at the hook.or anything moveing.I don't ever handle her.My exsperice with pygmy rattlers are they bite frist ask queastion later.The reason i'd want a few thosand is the yellow anaconda babies will not need a big cage at frist but they will grow fast.I'd want to make special tub in a yellow anaconda.she or he will need fresh water daily and need to beable to get its whole body under water as a adult.So slaping a kiddy pole in your bedroom isn't going work.Plus depending on how big your yellow anaconda depends on what kinda hidden you will need.I think you will need atleast a 9 footloong by 4 foot wide by four foot tall cage.For a big yellow.That is a good 2000 dollars buliding it more if you buy it already made.Then theres the lighting and the fact that you may need a spare freezer.Because your beautiful anaoconda will be needing rabbits and chickens.So to do everything right you'd need a good amount of cash on hand.I bought a cage for my red tails last year and it was 7 foot long 2 and 1/2 feet wide and 3 feet tall and caost around 1000 dollars.This is the reason I do not buy any snakes bigger then these i wouldn't be able to aforid it.

She just get goes at the hook.or anything moveing.I don't ever handle her.My exsperice with pygmy rattlers are they bite frist ask queastion later.The reason i'd want a few thosand is the yellow anaconda babies will not need a big cage at frist but they will grow fast.I'd want to make special tub in a yellow anaconda.she or he will need fresh water daily and need to beable to get its whole body under water as a adult.So slaping a kiddy pole in your bedroom isn't going work.Plus depending on how big your yellow anaconda depends on what kinda hidden you will need.I think you will need atleast a 9 footloong by 4 foot wide by four foot tall cage.For a big yellow.That is a good 2000 dollars buliding it more if you buy it already made.Then theres the lighting and the fact that you may need a spare freezer.Because your beautiful anaoconda will be needing rabbits and chickens.So to do everything right you'd need a good amount of cash on hand.I bought a cage for my red tails last year and it was 7 foot long 2 and 1/2 feet wide and 3 feet tall and caost around 1000 dollars.This is the reason I do not buy any snakes bigger then these i wouldn't be able to aforid it.

ok.. good point, the whatever baby i had that was over nine and a half feet, just had a heated blanket, a kiddy pool, before just used a huge fishtank itd go in anyway when out (it had a filter designed for large turtle habitats), a heater in the water wrapped in whatever they use for turtle tanks so the glass doesnt get broken from sudden hard impacts, a whole extra freezer and fridge for food, as well as distributer that could provide live and frozen, as well as bred some of my own, though guinea pigs might not produce enough for anas appetites, but prefer rabbits as easier keepers anyway. or for food, you could do what a local breeder did and just take any free animal, even pet: cats dogs ferrets parrots monkeys etc (which im against feeding live pets to snakes, as even though all part of food chain, when you see a loving trusting large dog get its bones slowly crushed as it whines and looks at you wondering what wrong it did, you would never want to see it again or visit them, and hope the snake chokes to death on it).

true, but i never did that, or used live wild, road kill etc. like others, and not advocating either, but theyre snakes were really healthy, so possibly, variation in FEEDER type animals raised on better food (ive never used rodent pro, as wasnt around when was kid with alot of herps), in general, aside from most buying pet store quality feeders etc.

or not feed for some to several months, so dont have to buy food for hundreds they cant afford to feed. though if im wrong on the last part, of believing you shouldnt only maintenance feed large snakes let me know, as not sure about how much thye should/would eat, but they seem to be the ones that attack and escape, when left hungry for months,seeming to break the myth they only need to eat every several months.

rodentpro is pretty cheap you can save atleast 100 dollars a year.There the only frozen feeder place i'll use some of the other ones are nasty and pretty inhuman.Like arrtic mice they freeze those poor things alive.Then when you go to get one there will be poop sticking out its ass.So i'd never use them.Also rodentpro there rats will stay good in your freezer about 8 months.Its really cheap if you only need pinkies and stuff for lizards.Feeding road kill is about the stupidest thing anyone can do.Because it could give your animal all kinda nasty stuff.I can almost promise one time will give a snake parasites.I'd bet all my slipknot merch on it.The feeding dogs and cats thing actully breaks the law so you can end up with 3 years in jail atleast in my state praise god..I know a guy that went to jail for animal curelty.While a snake is growing they need to eat more.You can actully stun there growth witch i've seen happen before.As a rule i feed minbe every seven to ten days.Then once they start eating rats that retired breeders and gunia pigs I start every 14 days.I wouldn't do once a month unless I knew the snake was done growning and she was rabbits or something like that.The larger the prey the longerit will take her to get out.So if we are talking about large boas and pythons yes once they are done growing and eat large animals you can go once a month.Also some snake have a fast metabolism.So you'd really want to study the snake you want to buy for a few monthes before you buy it.I usually do all the reserach i can for a month or two before i buy a animal

Also if you feed live you really need to watch the snake eat it and some snakes don't like being watched and depending on the size depends on how much you may want to get involved trying to keep it from biteing your snake while the snake if hugging it can be tricky. :blink:

id figured the live dog feeding etc (said theyd say"why bother killing it, its going to die anyway"), would be frowned upon, but never knew it was actually illegal, as heard of puppies and kittens etc used for food and fishing bait. the retriever mix didnt really do more than get any damage on the big male, unfortunately, and i just put it out of its misery, as the snake just had the back half, and i figured it was better to do it faster, even though they said the snake could kill me if i went in its enclosure (the four tanks took up at least half of the main room), though id have stabbed it in the head at that point, no offense to other snake lovers. they did how ever feed the animals properly, though they were filthy for a while except the last time i was over (one of the snakes had gotten out and attacked the woman and at least seriously injured the child, so they had sold the one of the two pairs at least, but remember the one was till there, and they had to stab or something the other one, and forget what they did with it, but loved it like a baby they said, so couldnt let it die (me id have killed the snake if it went after my kids or woman, but then again mine are handleable, and i wouldnt have one of the biguns, around my kids or woman, unless the snakes were in at least sealed room, and locked cages (not just weights on. lol), as regardless of what some say, ive seen snakes bend and break even chainlink, glass for salt water tanks, and plexiglass, as well as wood, while eating, agressive/defensive or hungry.

You just got to hold your snakes and lizards and they are less likely to bite or hurt anyone.ASlso feed them right they may have bite do to health problems.All my snakes I deal with that are not venomous i try to hold 3 times a week unless they just ate or in shed.Theyt can go wild fast witch sucks.I had to pretty much restart tameing a snake once do to all my healt problems.I think there needs to be more laws about snakes.Feeding them roadkill is pretty much animal abuses and will usually lead to death.Feeding live leads to high vet bill all though i see why people do with some snakes like sand boas and feeding animals from a animal shelter that is just horrorible all though a zoo has feed stray dogs to a rec I belivie in india that needs to be outlawed everywhere.I am the kinda guy that likes all his animals gases with sleeping gas tell the die from it.Its not painful and he animal never has to be hugged to death.I've had a ball that wouldn't eat that way once.So i had to feed him soft fur rats and that was hard having to breed them.He'd only eat those even if they were 75 percent black.That is the man reason I have not gotting any others.I was out oif town on a mission trip with my church and my mom solid him :angry: .He was super pastel