Blatta lateralis. Substrate, or Not?

Roachman26

What's the general consensus on this species? Substrate, or not? I got 200 sub-adults about a month ago and several molted into adulthood right away. Several more have become adults since then, but no babies. I've seen about a dozen egg cases, but none have hatched. Or if they have, there is no sign of babies. I saw my first few egg cases about three weeks ago. Right now they are not on any substrate. Temp is 80 at night, 86 during the day. They get the usual fruits and veggies plus premium dog food. They get misted daily and there are usually a few droplets still on the lid from the day before, but the floor of the tub stays dry. Do I just need to be more patient or does it seem like there is a problem with my set-up? Should I incubate the egg cases separately?

Hi

Shelfordella lateralis (that's the current valid name) needs longer than 3 weeks to hatch. I would just wait and wait and wait :D ...

There shouldn't be a problem with your setting, this species is nearly indestructible and not breeding them is more of a challenge than breeding them ;) .

Hi

Shelfordella lateralis (that's the current valid name) needs longer than 3 weeks to hatch. I would just wait and wait and wait :D ...

There shouldn't be a problem with your setting, this species is nearly indestructible and not breeding them is more of a challenge than breeding them ;) .

Great news! Thanks.