Hello I'm Courtney from Houston,Tx

Courtney

My names Courtney and I live in Houston, Texas and just for clarification from the word go I'm a 33 year old Guy LOL ;) That way theres no confusion on that particular issue :D

Ok I got Sir Hiss Alot today but heres the template

1. Do you currently raise any roaches? just got him or her today

2. If so, how many? 1

3. Do you culture roaches as pets or feeders? Well I got him for my Cane Toad but after getting those filthy mites off him I didn't have the heart to feed him to the Toad.

4. If feeders, what kinds? Just a plain ole Hissing Cockaroach,who got a reprieve

5. Are there any specific roach questions that you would like to ask the community? only thing that comes to mind right this second is. How do I tell the Ladies from the Guys???

6. How did you find our community? Those filthy mites tormenting him or her is what brought me here

My names Courtney and I live in Houston, Texas and just for clarification from the word go I'm a 33 year old Guy LOL ;) That way theres no confusion on that particular issue :D

Ok I got Sir Hiss Alot today but heres the template

1. Do you currently raise any roaches? just got him or her today

2. If so, how many? 1

3. Do you culture roaches as pets or feeders? Well I got him for my Cane Toad but after getting those filthy mites off him I didn't have the heart to feed him to the Toad.

4. If feeders, what kinds? Just a plain ole Hissing Cockaroach,who got a reprieve

5. Are there any specific roach questions that you would like to ask the community? only thing that comes to mind right this second is. How do I tell the Ladies from the Guys???

6. How did you find our community? Those filthy mites tormenting him or her is what brought me here

Welcome to the forum Courtney. Be careful. I started with a single hisser too, and look where I've ended up :o . To answer your question: hissers are easy to tell apart as adults. The males have little "horns" on their heads, while the females don't. If its a younger male, you might only see some little bumps starting to form. There are other ways to tell too, but more on that later, if you need it. Mine were covered in mites when I first got them too.

I did the same thing you did. Then, I cut the cottony end off of a Q-tip and dipped the end in Vaseline and dabbed the mites off one at a time. I didn't know they were harmless/beneficial back then. By the way, there are some other roaches that are fun and easy to culture for cane toad food. Try looking up Blaberus discoidalis or Blaptica dubia and see if those don't suit you. These two species can't fly and they can't climb smooth surfaces like glass or plastic, so they are very easy to contain. They are also cheap and easy to come by. I hope you stick around for a while. Good luck with "Sir" Hiss A Lot.

Just to clarify one point: If the mites were typical commensurate mites, they are not only clean but beneficial to the hisser. If they were any other mite, they would have been a problem but not "filthy" in any case. Mites consume filth.