favorite food of my B dubias

ann_rob

I just started a litle project...

I took an egg-container and in each place i putted another mix of food in it.

The base of the food is evrywhere the same but there's an extra ingredient or combination of ingredients in each place.

Place 1 : dogfood milkpowder and oakmeal

place 2 :dust from flowers(dont know the english name) and the base from place 1

place 3 : vitamineral (calcium for birds) and the base from place 1

place 4 : a combination from place 2 and 3 and the base from place 1

place 5 and 6: cricket gel(first time use for me)

here is a before picture so a litle poll is posible to see wich is the favorite one...

What do you think will turn out as the most popular for my roaches???

If someone has a sugestion to make my mixture even better im very intrestet

greetings

Rob

post-923-1263300675_thumb.jpg

I just started a litle project...

I took an egg-container and in each place i putted another mix of food in it.

The base of the food is evrywhere the same but there's an extra ingredient or combination of ingredients in each place.

Place 1 : dogfood milkpowder and oakmeal

place 2 :dust from flowers(dont know the english name) and the base from place 1

place 3 : vitamineral (calcium for birds) and the base from place 1

place 4 : a combination from place 2 and 3 and the base from place 1

place 5 and 6: cricket gel(first time use for me)

here is a before picture so a litle poll is posible to see wich is the favorite one...

What do you think will turn out as the most popular for my roaches???

If someone has a sugestion to make my mixture even better im very intrestet

greetings

Rob

This is very cool. Can't wait to see how it turns out. I must say, however that I see mine changing their little minds from time to time. It seems that they have cravings, like a pregnant woman, and their little bodies crave certain things at certain times. In my Eubalaberus posticus bin, for example, I always keep dog food available and then I'll add fruit, bread or sometimes something a little meaty. Usually they go straight for the oranges, but occasionally they go for the meaty item first. I haven't seen a clear pattern yet, but I have noticed that it changes.

For place #1 did you mean oatmeal or do they have some sort of oak product over there?

For place #2 we call that "pollen" in the states

What were you using for a water source, prior to the cricket gel? I wonder if they will go for that first out of thirst.

What are you using for your "base"?

I love this sort of thing. I've been watching what mine seem to like, but I never put together an official feeding trial like this. Please keep us posted on what you find.

This is very cool. Can't wait to see how it turns out. I must say, however that I see mine changing their little minds from time to time. It seems that they have cravings, like a pregnant woman, and their little bodies crave certain things at certain times. In my Eubalaberus posticus bin, for example, I always keep dog food available and then I'll add fruit, bread or sometimes something a little meaty. Usually they go straight for the oranges, but occasionally they go for the meaty item first. I haven't seen a clear pattern yet, but I have noticed that it changes.

For place #1 did you mean oatmeal or do they have some sort of oak product over there?

For place #2 we call that "pollen" in the states

What were you using for a water source, prior to the cricket gel? I wonder if they will go for that first out of thirst.

What are you using for your "base"?

I love this sort of thing. I've been watching what mine seem to like, but I never put together an official feeding trial like this. Please keep us posted on what you find.

I used oatmeal ,dogfood and milkpowder as a base for all the places.

I used always vegtables for watersource(there is still a piece of orange in the container).I have read about the cricket gel wich I bought for my spider but didn't use because he/she don't likes it.

On the bottom of the container lays old bread crum but just a thin layer

I'm going to take pictures so everybody can follow the changes.

On this way I can test and improve my roach food before I'm going to expand my collection roaches.

• 3 months later...

I'm very surprised that none of those foods were eaten!

Two nights ago, I placed two choices in with my B. dubia: dried dogfood and sliced kiwi fruit. Many roaches came out from hiding and immediately started devouring the dogfood. But nobody was interested in the kiwi fruit until the next day (when all the dogfood was gone). And I suspect they might not even have been interested in the fruit so much for nutrition as for liquid (water). But the fruit is all gone now, as well as the fuzzy peel.