Crickets and roaches

Do crickets and roaches get along in the same enclosure? I am currently raising some Gryllus nymphs and I would like to try to put some in with my 3 female Parcoblatta. They eat the same food (fish flakes) so I don't see what the problem would be. Has anyone done this before?

Not a problem until the crickets molt and the roaches eat them fresh out of the wrapper....

Or the other way around! As long as you give them enough space and food, then they should be able to coexist.

Yikes, glad I asked. Even if they might coexist, I don't want to take a chance. These are my young Gryllus nymphs (around 5 mm or smaller) that i hatched. I just thought it would be neat to have them living together and save space, but if there is a risk then just forget it!

Thanks guys

If they're that young, there's a serious predation risk. I figured they were around 4th instar or something.

Most people get ‘roaches so they don’t need feeder crickets… not so they can feed them crickets. ;)

I’m afraid that ‘roaches will probably even eat adult crickets; about five years ago I tried the same thing with some hissers. Hissers are the most vegetarian of my species and even they munched down on all the crickets (multiple dozens) within a few weeks.

I dropped in a cricket leg that was left over from feeding my wasps today, and one of my female Parcoblatta came out from under the bark and carried it under. I looked in 5 min and the three roaches had eaten the entire thing; there was nothing left!

Makes me glad I did not put any crickets in with them. I am breeding the Gryllus as a fun project rather than as feeders

Maybe off-topic, but Gryllus are really underrated. I had a group of 7 that all had names and stuff, watching them was like a little six-legged soap opera!

Vulgaris:I do the same thing with dermestids.I may try to find roaches if so i'm going to keep them.Can't wait till wasp season starts up here in Canada wont be another 2-3 months though :( We have 2 feet of snow :(

• 1 month later...

Hmm, I've had dozens of crickets escape into various roach enclosures before and nothing bad happened to them. Perhaps it has a lot to do with how much protein you feed each of them? The past few months I'm always loading my roaches and crickets with dog food, it seems to have drastically cut down the wing biting and cannibalism in all my roaches.