Incubating aborted oothecae

Ralph

When I returned home today, I caught my smallest hisser female with an ooth on the ground and one still hanging from her abdomen. Some eggs are definately dead, but the rest are large and seem close to full term. Is there any way to artificially incubate them after she drops 'em?

When I returned home today, I caught my smallest hisser female with an ooth on the ground and one still hanging from her abdomen. Some eggs are definately dead, but the rest are large and seem close to full term. Is there any way to artificially incubate them after she drops 'em?

I've tried a few times in the past, especially when they appeared to be near term, without success. I saw somebody on the internet years ago claiming they had success but I highly doubt it's possible.

Aw. I'll stick 'em in a little warm, moist jar anyway. I'm still puzzled about why it happened. Must have been inter-roach stress.

I've tried a few times in the past, especially when they appeared to be near term, without success. I saw somebody on the internet years ago claiming they had success but I highly doubt it's possible.

I highly doubt it's possible too. Roach ootheca in some species are laid and then its just a "sit and wait" for them to emerge- the ootheca is built to accomodate that. Roaches that retain ootheca create ootheca that do not have the same moisture retaining/stabilizing barrier nor do they have any way to effectively allow gas exchange so the ootheca outside the hisser (in this case) are pretty much guaranteed to die.

Lol, whoops. I'll let the others eat them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Ive actually had the ootheca of mostly dubia, some hissers, and two cranifer, hatch by keeping them on a pop cap or something raised, with moist moss or water gel around them but just not touching, in a plastic sauce cup with clear at least possible and kept warm. oh, i dont know why itd matter, but the ooth has to have the curve staying up up or they will die for some reason it seems. also avoid touching them or anything thats not being rinsed out with, your hands, as i think the bacteria or oils kill the bacteria or something on them and they dont hatch as well. I know its stupid probly to try, but at first i had so few dubia, and it was more of a project for the mad scientist in me. i have had from a few to forty hatch, sometimes eighty if its the cranifer or maybe hissers.