B. boliviensis - B. parabolicus genitalia?

Zephyr

I'm no expert, but comparing this to Roth's diagrams, it looks like the B. boliviensis is what it is, whereas the "B. parabolicus" may in fact be B. atropos!

I need more opinions, please. :)

Blaberus boliviensis:

bboliviensis.jpg

"Blaberus parabolicus":

bparab2.jpg

"Blaberus parabolicus":

bparab1d.jpg

First photo came from the male on the left, second photo came from the male on the right. Both are from the same strain of "B. parabolicus."

normanddisc.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Zephyr

You did it!

Are these just "raw" genitalia or did you prepare them somehow? Roth discoloured them with a base (was it 10% sodium/potassium hydroxide?)...

I don't have an opinion right now but I miss the whole rest of the genitalia. Where are these spikes and the fine membrane also used by Roth for the identification?

You know, only one individual doesn't make the whole species; there are always variations not only in size, shape and colour of the "outer roach-surfaces". But on the other hand, two different genitalia from one strain might as well be a hint for hybridisation...

Grüessli

Andreas

Hi Zephyr

You did it!

Are these just "raw" genitalia or did you prepare them somehow? Roth discoloured them with a base (was it 10% sodium/potassium hydroxide?)...

I don't have an opinion right now but I miss the whole rest of the genitalia. Where are these spikes and the fine membrane also used by Roth for the identification?

You know, only one individual doesn't make the whole species; there are always variations not only in size, shape and colour of the "outer roach-surfaces". But on the other hand, two different genitalia from one strain might as well be a hint for hybridisation...

Grüessli

Andreas

The extent of the preparation was leaving the individuals to soak in 70% isopropyl alcohol for about 2 hours. I didn't do discoloration or anything like that (if anyone knows what to use, I'll get some of it!) I forgot about the other portions of the genitalia, but I can always get more from my colonies.

I read in an article (maybe it was Roth's?) that there is a degree of variation in the shape of the genitalia, even within the same species from the same culture. I have suspected my Blaberus parabolicus of being hybrids, due to an incredible variation in pronotum pattern variation, and, from these photos, the noticeable difference in genitalia shape. The Blaberus boliviensis, however, are most certainly pure, untainted stock.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

You surely mean this publication: http://psyche.entclub.org/pdf/76/76-217.pdf

I think it was 10% sodium hydroxide being used for discoloration. In the "phyto-lab" we usually use chloral hydrate for discoloration of plant material; no idea whether it also works with chitin and sclerotic insect organs...

Grüessli

Andreas

• 2 months later...