B. lateralis males

vfox

Just out of curiosity, do any of you that keep Blatta lateralis ever actually notice the males attempt to fly? I picked up a male out of their tank today and it didn't try to fly, flutter, or even run away really. It seemed calmer than my dubia males. I never actually handled a male lat before so I was somewhat surprised at such a small roach being so calm. In case you're wondering the colony is small, only like 200 and fairly new. The males are less than 5% of the population right now. Breeding is slow right now but I'm sure they will "explode" in the next few months like it seems they have for a lot of you lol.

Weird of mine then I suppose. The females and juveniles jump back to the substrate from my hand all the time but my males just seem to be content hanging out on my fingers lol. Strange little guys; they really are a fun species though, people tend to ignore them because they are feeders but I really like them.

It's funny, when I wrote my first post on this I only had a small amount of males. It's like they knew I was talking about them lol, in the past few days almost ten new males molted out, the adults look like a good mix now.