YES! Finally found some!

vfox

Well, updating from this older thread. In the past few months I had no luck hatching out any ootheca and couldn't even find any nymphs! Finally around two weeks ago I found several P. pennsylvanica nymphs. My P. virginica ootheca never hatched either but I have like 20 of them so no worries.

The P. penn are going to be shipped to Kyle in hopes he can get a killer sized colony going. Fingers crossed because they are my favorite woods roach.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How big are they? They are definitely Parcoblatta of some sort. If they are like 1/2-3/4 of an inch they could be P. lata, americana, or pennsylvanica. If they are tiny, 1/4-1/2 of an inch then they are likely P. virginica. If they are the larger ones we'd need to wait until they hit adulthood before being able to correctly identify them.

• 1 year later...

My Parcoblatta pennsylvanica and virginica both died out without viable ootheca. I've collected both again this year and will be trying again. I'm hopeful with the setup this time.

Sorry to hear that all of your cultures died out :(

Hope u get tons of babies from your new roaches this year. I had significant portion of males emerge much earlier than females and would die before they get chance to mate with females, which emerged later. Perhaps that's what happened in your culture?

Thinking of putting some subadult male nymphs into refrigerator to prevent this.

Sorry to hear that all of your cultures died out :(

Hope u get tons of babies from your new roaches this year. I had significant portion of males emerge much earlier than females and would die before they get chance to mate with females, which emerged later. Perhaps that's what happened in your culture?

Thinking of putting some subadult male nymphs into refrigerator to prevent this.

That's one of the main issues I had. I should try that trick too. Thanks for the advice. I adore having native roaches so hopefully I can finally get my culture working.