what colors can't roaches see?

I am always dieing to know what my roaches do when the lights go out. On nights when everyone goes to bed and I am the only one up, I turn off all the lights and then peek on the roaches with a flashlight, but they always scurry because that disturbs them. They definitely all come out when the lights are off, but I can't observe them with a flashlight

Does anyone know of a color of light that they can't see? I know bees and wasps can't see red. Maybe the same holds true for the roaches? It would be an interesting investigation

I am always dieing to know what my roaches do when the lights go out. On nights when everyone goes to bed and I am the only one up, I turn off all the lights and then peek on the roaches with a flashlight, but they always scurry because that disturbs them. They definitely all come out when the lights are off, but I can't observe them with a flashlight

Does anyone know of a color of light that they can't see? I know bees and wasps can't see red. Maybe the same holds true for the roaches? It would be an interesting investigation

Red. I use a red light basking bulb for my roaches and they will come out and stay out when it's on. I keep the roach room pretty dark too, so if they could see the red (it's 150 watts) I'd notice dramatically fewer out than I do.

If Hymenoptera can't see red, I don't see why roaches (with much poorer vision) could! I use a red bulb too.

My hissers, peppereds, and Parcoblatta are all more active and stuff at night even with full light on and seem like they are affected more by their internal clock.

• 4 years later...