New species! Blaberus brasilianus! :)

Zephyr

I don't have any adults of this species yet, but here's a pic of the nymphs. They resemble Blaberus discoidalis nymphs but are darker. The adults are sexually dimorphic; the males have red pronotum markings while the females' are black.

egzn29.jpg

B. brasilianus on left, B. discoidalis on right:

4q0ewm.jpg

Ooh, awesome! So have you seen what the adults will look like or will it be a complete surprise?

Ooh, awesome! So have you seen what the adults will look like or will it be a complete surprise?

The person who sent me them thought they were B. atropos; he did some genital dissections and ID'd them as B. brasilianus. Here's a pic he posted on here a while ago of the adults:

Roach(2).jpg

That's so awesome :D

How many do you have?

Somewhere between 12 and 20. I can't wait to get these circulating in the hobby. I just love odd Blaberus; they're all so similar, but when you recognize the slight differences between species, you get a better appreciation for them. :)

Somewhere between 12 and 20. I can't wait to get these circulating in the hobby. I just love odd Blaberus; they're all so similar, but when you recognize the slight differences between species, you get a better appreciation for them. :)

Do these look more like a feeder species or something for the hobby?

Do these look more like a feeder species or something for the hobby?

I think if they were to become a feeder species it could cause problems... Just like with Blaberus boliviensis. When they began to be sold as feeders people slowly mixed them up with B. discoidalis, and now most B. discoidalis/boliviensis stock consists of hybrids of the two. Hopefully these guys will be valued for their individuality (particularly their sexual dimorphism) over their reproductive capability.

I do like the pronotum marking on the male! It must be quite the responsibility to be the main distributor of a new species.