ID, please? :)

likebugs

Looks like some sort of hisser.

It's either a black morph of Gromphadorhina portentosa or Gromphadorhina grandidieri. Few people keep the black form of G. grandidieri so it's likely portentosa.

Also, it could be "Princisia vanwaerebeki" but the validity of that genus is being disputed.

Hmmmm Zephyr it looks like a hybrid to me? "Black" hisser x "tiger" hisser?

I could be wrong, though....

It's pretty much impossible to tell at this size.

Even then, there's the argument that all the various hisser species are just color morphs of each other.

**EDIT- coincidentally, even G. oblongonata nymphs can be black like that at times. We'll have to see the adult to even try to be sure of what it is.

Can I assume it is a male? I assumed that it was, because of the smaller last segment viewed ventrally. Can they be accurately sexed as nymphs at all.

Yes, it is a male. You can sex them at their second molt if you've got a REALLLLLLLLLLY keen eye.

It's pretty much impossible to tell at this size.

Even then, there's the argument that all the various hisser species are just color morphs of each other.

**EDIT- coincidentally, even G. oblongonata nymphs can be black like that at times. We'll have to see the adult to even try to be sure of what it is.

Good point.....

Yes, it is a male. You can sex them at their second molt if you've got a REALLLLLLLLLLY keen eye.

Well, thank goodness! B) This roach is nearly as long as the adult males of its culture mates, but he doesn't hiss or even behave anything like the adult male shown here, from the same bin.

Well, thank goodness! B) This roach is nearly as long as the adult males of its culture mates, but he doesn't hiss or even behave anything like the adult male shown here, from the same bin.

Looks like G. portentosa (the male from the last pic.)

Would that mean it's more likely to be a hybrid?

I think they are great, :wub: even if I can't be sure what species they are. The black one is calm and curious. The adult seems very uptight, he postures and hisses alot. :lol:

One of my favorite things about hissers: Their personalities! As for IDing, they outwardly look just like mine which were bought as G. portentosa.

The black roach molted last night and his stripes were no longer visible. He has a more typical shape now. I am sure that they were the skin in between abdominal segments, as my surinams look like this when they are fat or before a molt. He has a more typical shape now. The 4 white markings on his mesonotum and metanotum are just as striking as they were, and he is developing some horns. He came out to eat half of a banana slice, in the daylight. B) I love that he is so calm and cool. Now, I can see some white between the segments when he moves to the side. I can't believe how much he could eat in one setting. :lol: But, I am new to this. :rolleyes: