Hello from Ohio! New roach enthusiast :)

Sylva Ansuz

Hi all! I just recently adopted 2 Madagascar hissing cockroaches who belonged to a colony of feeders that was brought into the wildlife center where I volunteer. After setting up a tank with lots of hiding places and providing an under- tank heater, I was pleased to discover that the roaches are interesting and very lively! I have 2 males, and named them Andre and Gregor. I cannot, however, tell them apart after Gregor molted (which was the subject of another post: I want to mark them somehow so I can tell them apart). It's been a long time since I've had an insect pet (I had large Asian millipedes in the past, and a few others), and several years since I've had any kind of small pet. When it comes to insects, though, I'm also very interested in butterflies and also (especially!) large native moths, and I volunteer in a butterfly house.

Anyway, I'd love to talk with other people who have pet cockroaches, either here or on Facebook. I have lots of photos and videos of mine! I've had trouble uploading the photos to this site, unfortunately, but I'll try again. I do have some good ones, including some of Gregor's molt, which I just happened to witness!

I have lots of questions about my roaches which I'm sure I'll pose as time goes on. I would like to ask, though, what some of their favorite foods happen to be. I've read that they eat mostly vegetation, but I haven't observed mine eating much of anything, although I can tell that they are eating (as I've found lots of excrement in their cage). I've read that many people feed them dry dog food (is that correct?) but I've been offering mine a smorgasbord of different veggies and such also. The only thing I've seen one of them eat was some applesauce. I was wondering... if they cannot bite a human, how can they eat dry dog food? I mean, it's rather hard! I've tried moistening what I'm offering them to see if they prefer it that way. I haven't noticed that it makes a difference. I've also read that they love to eat carrots, but I have the same question about that- carrots, too, are hard! :D

Thanks in advance for your welcome and advice! :)

• Like 1

Hi Sylva and welcome to the forum.

Yes dog food, veggies, and fruits are okay with them.

Just don't forget to rinse the fruits and veggies with water first before giving it to them. To wash off any pesticide and insecticide.

Enjoy your new pets.smile.gif

Hi Sylva! I am pretty new to the roach world (about a year now) and have quite a few different kinds, one is the Madagascar. You will be able to tell male and female by their heads. The male has "horns" on the top of his head.

As far as feeding, I give mine everything I can think of, in tiny little bits, to see what they like best. I shred all my carrots, and things that are hard, they like that but you don't have to do that. Mine love romaine lettuce and I throw a big leaf in for them and it is always gone. I have a couple hundred of them tho.. so just do not feed them much and take it out the next day. I feed mine at night, and take leftovers out in the morning.

You have come to the right place for info, I think I have read almost all the topics here, and there is a very helpful one about feeding. You just have to look around here and you will find most your answers. I am also on facebook if you would like to add me as a friend!

Good luck with your new Mads! I think they are awesome!

Cindy

Hi all! Thanks for the replies and the welcome! I did actually get to observe my roaches eating a few things recently: a piece of red pepper and a piece of rye bread. I was relieved to see them eat, since it was the first time I got to observe it! Oh and yes, mine are both males as they have the horns on top of their heads. I made sure of that, as I don't especially want them to breed!

I looked up the Bug City event. I'm in Canton but I should be able to go to the festival for just a couple of hours. (I do unfortunately work on Saturdays now.) I'm really interested in knowing more about the event! Do you know whether there will be any insects actually sold there? Also, I wasn't sure if the programs are mostly for kids or not really. If it's not too child- oriented, I'll definitely check it out. Thanks for letting me know!

I looked up the Bug City event. I'm in Canton but I should be able to go to the festival for just a couple of hours. (I do unfortunately work on Saturdays now.) I'm really interested in knowing more about the event! Do you know whether there will be any insects actually sold there? Also, I wasn't sure if the programs are mostly for kids or not really. If it's not too child- oriented, I'll definitely check it out. Thanks for letting me know!

There are live and dead insect displays that would be well worth your drive time. The high quality displays are by different exhibitors and are certainly something an adult with entomological experience would enjoy. Kids and the lay person like them too but can't truly appreciate them. Of course the mealworm races, face painting and such are for youngsters and are free if you have any tiny relatives to bring along. Eating bugs is also free but not age or insect enthusiast related. You couldn't find any roaches for sale, for that you'd want the reptile show which is the following day off I-71.

• 11 years later...

Hi there!  Just wanted to respond to your question about foods because it's the end of Summer for me and that means watermelon season! I put bits of meaty watermelon rind in with my Hissers and they dive on it. I used to always throw my meaty leftover rinds to my horses, but now i cut little pieces off for my bugs and they love it more than anything else.