Question about Discoids...

CO129197

I noticed the other day some of my adult discoids have major damage to their wings...I read up on a couple different posts and learned that the giants often bite the wings of their mates...So my guess would be the female discoids are the ones which have damaged wings...

Would this be true, or what would cause them to have such damaged wings? Ill try and get a pic in here later...they aren't very photogenic roaches!

Nate

I don't know...Figured it's either that or the males are biting off the wings...Its hard to tell the difference between the males and females...I thought about eliminating some of the males, but haven't got that far as of yet...

Nate

• 5 weeks later...

It's almost certainly wing-biting but I can't be sure which gender is causing it, if only one. I don't really have this issue in my discoid tank anymore; I think the major cause for mine was overcrowding but it could also have been a lack of humidity in their tank. My discoids are in a plastic sterlite bin now and at nearly 100% humidity. Ever since their introduction into a solid plastic container from a screened glass tank the old wing biting and fighting issues ceased. I keep nearly ever species like this now and it's solved a lot of issues I had a few years back. The only problem is mold grows quickly on the food and I can only use cork bark because it doesn't mold up like egg flats.

• 4 weeks later...