Help anyone?

Thomas

I've been keeping Schultesia lampyridiformis for a while and just now they've started breeding. However, I cant keep the young contained safely for my life. My container is horrid (ice cream tub with window screen taped on from the outside with industrial tape). I just recently tried an extremely thin layer of vaseline only to find the little creatures dead. If I tape on the inside, they find a way to get under it, if I tape on the outside, they get between the screen and tub only to get stuck and die. Also, a few have actually escaped only to get stuck yet again on the tape. Any help anyone? I've run flat out of ideas....

Don't use tape at all.

Get a HOT glue gun and some glue sticks. They are inexpensive at craft, drug, dollar, or even department stores.

:excl: Be careful about low temp glue guns! I only use them for temporary containers that do not need to be warmed up,(like mantid's containers). Low temperature glue has failed me when I keep my roaches warm. :excl:

1) Scratch up the surface of the tub that you will be gluing with sand paper or even rough it up with a serraded knife.

2) Clean the roughed gluing surface well with dish detergent to make sure the glue will stay stuck well. Rinse thouroughly.

3) Glue on your screen. Layer the glue on thick. If it looks messy thats ok, at least it should stick.

4)If needed, you can glue cloth over the screen so tiny roaches can't get out.

Please let me know how well it works out for you. It works great for me, but I also use vaseline to keep roaches from hanging out near or on the top. B)

You can also modify pet food containers in the same way. They usually have a great seal and I use them for climbing ninja roaches. :ph34r:

Don't use tape at all.

Get a HOT glue gun and some glue sticks. They are inexpensive at craft, drug, dollar, or even department stores.

:excl: Be careful about low temp glue guns! I only use them for temporary containers that do not need to be warmed up,(like mantid's containers). Low temperature glue has failed me when I keep my roaches warm. :excl:

1) Scratch up the surface of the tub that you will be gluing with sand paper or even rough it up with a serraded knife.

2) Clean the roughed gluing surface well with dish detergent to make sure the glue will stay stuck well. Rinse thouroughly.

3) Glue on your screen. Layer the glue on thick. If it looks messy thats ok, at least it should stick.

4)If needed, you can glue cloth over the screen so tiny roaches can't get out.

Please let me know how well it works out for you. It works great for me, but I also use vaseline to keep roaches from hanging out near or on the top. B)

You can also modify pet food containers in the same way. They usually have a great seal and I use them for climbing ninja roaches. :ph34r:

+1 to this!

I use hexagonal candy containers with two ventilation holes screened in this way. I never have escapes and it keeps the container humid enough for me to only need to mist once a week and ventilated enough that mold doesn't grow.

I forgot to mention a couple of things.

Before using your modified container, push and pull on the screening to check the integrity of your work.

I have failed the test a couple of times, but luckily I tested first. Some spots on a container will need extra reinforcement, depending on the stiffness of screen, or curvature of container.

I still like to check the integrity of my containers regularly.

I have learned that heat and wear and tear from opening and closing flexible plastics, will need repair now and then. I am more gentle with my containers now, and try not to bend the plastic at all if it is possible. ;)

Don't find out the hard way, when you see a roach peeking out of a gap that needs repair. :lol:

I have also noticed that if roaches have everything they need,(the right temps, foods, substrates, humidity, spaces) and are comfortable, they won't try to escape as much. This is especially true with burrowing species. If the substrate is right, they will usually be in it, or at least run down when disturbed, instead of up and out. :mellow:

I forgot to mention a couple of things.

Before using your modified container, push and pull on the screening to check the integrity of your work.

I have failed the test a couple of times, but luckily I tested first. Some spots on a container will need extra reinforcement, depending on the stiffness of screen, or curvature of container.

I still like to check the integrity of my containers regularly.

I have learned that heat and wear and tear from opening and closing flexible plastics, will need repair now and then. I am more gentle with my containers now, and try not to bend the plastic at all if it is possible. ;)

Don't find out the hard way, when you see a roach peeking out of a gap that needs repair. :lol:

I have also noticed that if roaches have everything they need,(the right temps, foods, substrates, humidity, spaces) and are comfortable, they won't try to escape as much. This is especially true with burrowing species. If the substrate is right, they will usually be in it, or at least run down when disturbed, instead of up and out. :mellow:

Thank you so much for the help. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to do it, though.

About the escaping, only one or two have actually tried to escape, but a lot of them like to climb up to the top every once in a while or to the vent on the side. Otherwise, I have about 30 and they're almost all invisible :P

Thank you so much for the help. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to do it, though.

About the escaping, only one or two have actually tried to escape, but a lot of them like to climb up to the top every once in a while or to the vent on the side. Otherwise, I have about 30 and they're almost all invisible :P

Your welcome!

They will probably be fine until then if you can keep the container together. :)

Look on the bright side! Once you are armed with a hot glue gun and plenty of sticks,(go for the large bag, trust me. :lol: ) You will be prepared to do modification to containers for all kinds of roaches or other bugs. :P

The gun is my favorite tool. A hole saw comes in handy too, but I have created great mods without it. :lol:

In the long run, the glue gun and glue will most likely be less expensive than the tape.

I ran into the same problem with mine getting stuck in the vaseline barrier. I wiped the barrier off to almost nothing and it still works but doesn't trap the young very often.

I also changed them from a deli style container to a sterlite bin. Since I did that (I have no vent holes) I've not had any escapes and very rarely deaths. I'm on my third generation of adults now with about 40-60 babies and more being born all the time. Firefly mimics are my favorite little roach with Panchlora nivea a close second. ;)

Good luck with them!

I ran into the same problem with mine getting stuck in the vaseline barrier. I wiped the barrier off to almost nothing and it still works but doesn't trap the young very often.

I also changed them from a deli style container to a sterlite bin. Since I did that (I have no vent holes) I've not had any escapes and very rarely deaths. I'm on my third generation of adults now with about 40-60 babies and more being born all the time. Firefly mimics are my favorite little roach with Panchlora nivea a close second. ;)

Good luck with them!

Wait... theres no need for vent holes? Do you have a lid on it?

I keep them in a sealed sterlite bin, checkout my YouTube video under the Vfox1983 for a quick video of them from a month or so ago. They need very little food compared to my other roaches so as long as I check/mist them once a week they are fine. I do have food mold issues but not substrate mold issues in some other sealed tanks. But high humidity helps so I keep them sealed regardless.

I keep them in a sealed sterlite bin, checkout my YouTube video under the Vfox1983 for a quick video of them from a month or so ago. They need very little food compared to my other roaches so as long as I check/mist them once a week they are fine. I do have food mold issues but not substrate mold issues in some other sealed tanks. But high humidity helps so I keep them sealed regardless.

Thank you so much. Not sure why I never considered removing the vents altogether. They're such amazing roaches.