My oldest (pet) cockroach died today

Back in 2007 I received either Craniifer or Fusca roach nymphs, one was a bit lighter in color than my other ones, had a bad limp, and was smaller than the rest, it was really young the size of my thumbnail.

After being with me a few weeks it grew, and around 5 months later on October 13, 2007 became a healthy adult female, with blackish coloring while the rest of the roaches that were slightly smaller were brown winged. I was amazed and happy, I named the roach Midnight and she lived with her 4 sisters in my roach tank for them. Her sisters lived about 1 1/2 - 2 years after becoming adults, but Midnight was special.

April 2008 came and she was a year old (considering nymphs become adults at 6 months and it was 6 months since she became an adult)

April 2009 came is 2 years old, I thought this was her last few months.

April 2010 came is now 3 years old, still alive, broke 2 legs but still got around fine and ate fine.

April 2011 came she is now 4 years old, Midnight mostly slept and could only chew soft foods now, so every month I fed her beef and banana baby food for extra nutrients, I assume whatever holds an eggcase literally fell out of her body, is was soft and yellow, but she continued eating and living.

March 12, 2012 Midnight passed away of old age, a month from 5 YEARS OLD!

I cannot explain it, I had no idea this species could live SO long! If I knew how to submit her for Guiness World Records I wold have, but I know how special she was and was honored to have her!

R.I.P. Midnight.

UPDATE I checked my records again, and I got Midnight in October 2006, not 2007. This proves not only that she took much longer than 6 months to mature, but that she actually lived for 5 1/2 years!!! I posted a picture of her as a nymph and as an adult below.

We love stories like this because they are personal and you shared data. Five years is a really long time and it is a testament to the care you provided for the animal that it lived that long. It's also a demonstration that insect pets can occupy a significant portion of our lives. So many people are deterred by "short" lifespans and choose other pets that require excessive care to the point the experience of having a pet is one of responsibility, instead of a better balance of enjoyment and observation and novelty.

• 1 month later...

Keith: You and Midnight had something special. You together lasted longer than many marriages. I appreciate your hard work to be consistent in your care for her and she was really

an extraordinary roach. Did she have offspring?

good luck with the rest,

Rich

Keith: You and Midnight had something special. You together lasted longer than many marriages. I appreciate your hard work to be consistent in your care for her and she was really

an extraordinary roach. Did she have offspring?

good luck with the rest,

Rich

No she never got pregnant, when I bought the roaches I ended up getting all females. This also might be why she lived longer, constant pregnancy I'm sure adds stress on a body.

No she never got pregnant, when I bought the roaches I ended up getting all females. This also might be why she lived longer, constant pregnancy I'm sure adds stress on a body.

speaking of which, how soon after giving birth do the roaches make another ootheca??

That's amazing. It's a good thing you kept those records too.

She was really beautiful.