Oh no, forgot to grease the hisser tank!

I never greased up the 30 gallon for my hissers, and they had babies a few days ago.... I found two running around on the underside of the lid and a third that had been crushed completely flat along the rim at some point from me going in to change food or water, probably sometime last night. The way the room is set up they have a million places to hide! Has anyone done this before? Any idea how many may have made it out or how I could go about recapturing them? I Vaselined the tank immediately, so hopefully that will stop any more from getting out. It never crossed my mind since the adults have never tried to get out in the six months I've had them. Completely forgot that babies aren't as calm!

It's odd really, the majority of them are sticking close to mom and dad and their older brother, but there are a handful that are falling out of the plants when I go in there, so some must have this urge to climb.

It's a 30 gallon old scratched up glass tank with a screen lid with plastic wrap on the underside, one that folds left-to-right for easy access. The one I found squished was on the top lip of the tank. (What's left of the rim anyway. We had gerbils in there before the roaches and they chewed the heck out the plastic rim and the silicone!)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, there was at least one escapee. I was spending some time in the room after lights out watching the scorpions when I felt something crawling on the top of my foot, and it was one of the teeny little hisser nymphs. He was still at second molt, while all his siblings in the tank are already at or will soon be at their fourth. Thought that was rather interesting. Anyway, I have no idea if he'll make it as he was slow and probably starved by that point, but I put him in with the others.

Makes me wonder how many more there are in there just wandering around. I'm trying to figure out the best way to set a live trap to try and capture them.

I'm also wondering if those two little ones I picked up today and earlier in the week were actually dubia... I had been handling them and then found the little ones on the floor, but I never actually looked to see if they were dubia and just chucked them in. They were the same size at the little guy tonight. Hisser nymphs would be okay in a dubia tank, right?

• 2 weeks later...

Found another one yesterday as well, just chillin' on top of the Giant Cave's screen lid. This one looked a lot better, was on it's third molt, and was a pain to catch! Still, how did it manage to get on top of a screen lid on a 10 gallon tank when I know it wasn't there the day before? Where else are they hiding at?

The little hissers inside the tank are constantly climbing up the glass, but with the top greased they can't get out. :) Yay!

On the hunt for more of the little things. :lol: